transparent material

Hi! I’m trying to map a transparent material (like a glass) in the game engine. I UV mapped a tga channel alpha texture and set the alpha channel in F5, I can see the texture when I start the game engine so this part is OK but it is not transparent, what am I missing? help pls

In the edit buttons there are settings that will allow you to designate how to render each face. Alpha rendering is not done by default, to save framerates. In face-select-mode select the face(s) that you need to use alpha and click the alpha button in the edit buttons. You’ll probably also want to make it double-sided if it is just a plane or triangle (IE not on a 3d object where only one side will be viewed). If you selected multiple faces, click copy drawmode - it’ll spread the settings to all of the faces you’ve selected.

at first map texture with alpha if you can use alfa channel or simply some picture if you plan use the darks side of it like a alfa channel.

select faces , then go to paint button(2.25) edit button in(2.34) so there is some gate of buttons. if you plan use alfa you prabably schould hit “tex”(texture) and “alpha” to use alpha channel.
or if you can use the dark… hit the “add” button.

the other posibility of using alpha is use the alpha in object color, in IPO window. so I think that if you will use object color with aplpha you schould write it here and i’ll help you, or someone else.

jm

one suggestion, you scholud map texture with UV mapping tool, otherwise you don’t see the texture in engine.

so here is my picture with alpha in gameengine
http://nmedia.avu.cz/~mucska/blender/GameSetup.jpg
I schould push up my self in your mind :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jm

thanks for the answers i’m trying to do this for one whole week, and i can’t.
What i want to make transparent is a plane and i’m only going to see it from one side (the front side) but i need to see what’s behind it. What i did till now is

1. UV map a texture (this is OK because i can see it when i start the game engine)
  2. in F5 i have an alfha channel value of 0.118 (i also tried other values)
  3. i hit the Alfpha botton at the right in F5.
    4.Hit the Tex Face botton in F5 (i don’t know if this is the Tex botton i have to hit, but it doesn’t affect the transparency of my plane if i hit it or don’t.)
    i’m working with the 2.25 version
    what else do i need to do?

in window(F5) you can’t set up alfa channel for engine, you schould go to “paint buttons”
if you can see texture from booth sides you schould hit the “twoside” button.
http://nmedia.avu.cz/~mucska/blender/paint_b.gif

…in face mode

jm

THANKSSSSSSSSS!!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
IT WORKED!!!

I’ve used PNG files with an alpha channel successfully…

I believe that when you use a filetype that won’t support it black must be used.

I’m also use PNG like my favorite texture format. :smiley:

jm

Did you prove two transparent textures in the same scene? one transparent texture in one object (a plane) and other transparent texture in another object ? i’m trying to do this and it isn’t working

ofcourse.
but sometimes it makes problem with overlapping(in 2.25 not in 2.34), but you can have as alfa objets as your commuter allow.

jm

:-? It isn´t working for another object, this is what i think i did for the first object: am i missing something???

1. UV map a tga texture with an alpha channel (this is OK because i can see it when i start the game engine)
  2. in F5 add a material to the object and i have an alpha channel value of 0.118
  3. Select the object, hit F and in the Paint Buttons hit Text and Alpha
    there’s something missing here because this isn’t working but i don’t know what

[emphasis mine]

what are you trying to do? if you are trying to make the texture more translucent than it actually is [make the opaque spots transparent], you need to do several things

set the faces to OBcolor [no vertex colors for you]
go into the ipo window, and add an ipo for the ColR ColG ColB channels [at 1.0], and add an ipo for ColA at 0.118 [or whatever you want]

you can also animate this using the ipo actuator

furthermore, it also will have an effect on textures without an alpha channel [but alpha still needs to be pressed for those faces]. It will be a solid amount of transparency [it doesn’t decide for example that back in your texture is transparent].

[and as you can probably gather, you can animate the colors on the faces this way too]

What i’m traing to do is a transparent plane, i did it yesterday :expressionless: with one plane and a texture and it worked and i’m trying to do it again now with another plane and another texture. What i think i did yesterday was to follow this steps:

1. UV map a tga texture with an alpha channel (this is OK because i can see it when i start the game engine)
  2. in F5 add a material to the object and i have an alpha channel value of 0.118
  3. Select the object, hit F and in the Paint Buttons hit Text and Alpha

but there’s something missing and i can’t find what it is because it isn’t working

forget F5 !
jm

thanks it worked now, it was the texture that wasn’t transparent, the texture must have an alpha channel but the texture itself must be transparent

thanks it worked now, it was the texture that wasn’t transparent, the texture must have an alpha channel but the texture itself must be transparent

…true.

if you use IPO with alfa the picture can by jpg, that have no alfa channel.
because you are set alfa to object itself not to a texture. just an add.

jm