Transparent Materials Workflow from Cycles to EEVEE from 2.79

I’m working on a project that I had previously made in Cycles in 2.79 and I’m looking to do some rendering in EEVEE in 2.8, most things are working fine and I’m playing it as safe as I can by working in 2.79 and only using 2.8 to render.

Obviously each time I load the file in 2.8 there a bunch of things that I need to change and I’m slowly finding workarounds but one of my biggest stumbling blocks is transparent materials, I know that when you open 2.8 you need to change the Blend Mode in the material Options tab to Alpha Blend but a few of my materials are linked and I don’t have direct access even if I make a proxy. I see in 2.79 there is a similar tab in the Cycles material settings but it doesn’t seem to have any effect. Is there a way that I can make sure that when EEVEE loads the materials that it is ready render the transparency correctly?

Tom

1 Like

in the eevee setting, active the " screen space reflection " tab and inside of it active " refraction ", then in the material tab let the blending mode to opaque but active Screen space refraction

2 Likes

That seems to just result in the same outcome as changing to Alpha Blend plus as the file is Linked I still can’t change those settings in 2.8.

You are essentially asking about being able to control your Eevee material settings in 2.79. This is not possible.

I guess you could put it like that but I’ve set up a lot of shaders in 2.79 that translate pretty perfectly in EEVEE because they are using the principled shader, you could re-word the question ‘how do I best setup a shader that has transparent areas in 2.79 to work in EEVEE?’

I was wondering why my glass is totally opaque and not transparent until this thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

i’ll ask here since i don’t want to start a new thread.
is there a quick way to have transparency per object in the workbench engine? i am trying to do a retopo but couldn’t figure it out, the only closest thing is X-Ray mode which make the whole scene transparent…i want only the low mesh to be semi-transparent not everything.

maybe do the retopo on eevee ?

i tried it and it’s very slow when using heavy meshes…workbench engine is much faster, it just needs a way to change mesh opacity.

1 Like

Thanks, very helpfull
Can you help me with keeping the reflective image in world view from rendering in the background. In 2.79 there was a transpancy box to check off are on.

In the shader editor, go to the World shader and add a Light Path node. Check the ‘Is Camera Ray’ box and add it as the Fac input to a mix node. Add your environment image to the first input and whatever you’d like to display in the render to the second input.