Transparent textures with 2.5

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question for you. I need to import an image which contains a transparency and a logo, and apply that as a texture to plane, so the logo can be used in a scene without the rest of the plane being rendered. I figured this out in 2.49 but for some reason it is eluding me in 2.5.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me please? I’d really appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Andy Curry, UK

Here is my checklist:

Materials

1. Transparency checked
  2. Z Transparency enabled
  3. Alpha = 0

Texture

1. Premultiply
  2. Image Sampling Alpha: Use
  3. Influence Color and Alpha checked
  4. Mapping UV and Flat

View Properties

1. GLSL
  2. Textured Solid

Unwrap your object with the texture in the image editor.

Hi jrboddie1,

Many thanks for your checklist - this has worked in terms of the transparency of the material on the object. However, the plane is still casting a shadow, even though the plane itself does not render. I’ve tried various options in the shadow section but I can’t find the answer - can you help?

Thanks again!

Andy

In order to make only the opaque part of your plane cast a shadow, then the materials of the object(s) receiving the shadow have to be modified. Select the material of the object receiving the shadow. In the Material:Shadow panel, enable Receive Transparent.

Also note that your transparent plane may receive an unwanted specular component. If so, turn its Specular Intensity to zero. If you want some specular component on the opaque part, then enable specular influence in the texture panel.

One last issue - the problem seems to come back when Ambient Occlusion is enabled. Is this a bug with the current build or have I missed another setting?

Many thanks!! I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to help me.

Best regards,

Andy

I’m sorry, I don’t have a solution for this one. I tried to duplicate in version 2.49b and find the same thing. AO seems to see the whole plane and not just the non-transparent textured part. I don’t think this is a problem that is unique to 2.50.

Hopefully, someone will have a correct solution.