transparent uv textures

i am currwntly trying to make some trees and grass etc. for a game, and i came up against a problem. when trying to make a branch with leaves on it as a single plane, i would like the leaves and the branch to be the only things visible, but the plane keeps showing a white area where the transparent bits are supposed to be.

is there any way around this at all?

i’ll try to post some images if need be

Tell us how you’re trying to achieve the transparency. Is it on a separate image? Or are you letting blender mask out the black areas using the ‘calcAlpha’ button?

I was wondering about this too. For me, I want to have two textures layered over one object, one of which affects the entire object, but the other which only shows up on the edge. The transparent part of the image shows up as white, like yurahn said. Do you use an alpha channel or something? I don’t have any experience with alphas.

Add a Material and Texture to the plane and make it an Image texture. Instead of “Load Image” just find the image you UVMapped in the little menu button and then click “CalkAlpha” (or UseAlpha if the format both supports and has an Alpha layer).

Then in the Material tab in F5 drop the Alpha of the plane to 0:00, click TexFace and in the RayMirror tab click ZTransp. In the MapInput tab change it from ORCO to UV and in the MapTo tab map it to Alpha.

%<

hey this really worked, but only in the rendering… i was hoping to get it uv mapped so it would show in “textured” view… is this asking too much?

thanks for the tip, though, it really worked well.

I don’t understand how “CalcAlpha” calculates what the alpha is. It says “using the RGB values” but that doesn’t really help. Does it go for a specific color or something? Is there a way to change the color it goes for?

i was hoping to get it uv mapped so it would show in “textured” view… is this asking too much?

Maybe in 2.4 (I haven’t tested it yet though).

I don’t understand how “CalcAlpha” calculates what the alpha is. It says “using the RGB values” but that doesn’t really help. Does it go for a specific color or something? Is there a way to change the color it goes for?

Alpha is “Calculated” using the values of Black as 0:00 transmition (Red=0, Blue=0 and Green=0). As these values increase so will the Transparency decrease.

If, in the MapTo tab, you click “Alpha” twice so that its in the yellow state then these values will be reversed and white will be calculated as fully transparent and black as opaque.

%<

Oh. Hah. Thanks.

bangs forehead

The transparency works, but the problem is that the transparent bits make everything behind the transparent bit go fully transparent. i am working on getting a pic up

Turn on ZTransp in the MirrorTransp tab in F5.

%<

I tried this way, too, but my results are completely invisible. My images are only black and white, is it possible that they aren´t supported?

Some details: I made images of a tree and some forms of grass, all black and white. I just want that only the space around the actual images go transparent and not the white parts inside the grass or the tree.
Can Blender handle this, or do I have to create special (flat) models for my images using UV-mapping at the end??

Ztransp is already on

You can send me your files (just remember to goto File >> Pack Data first or it will be useless sending it) to ([email protected]) and I’ll take a look at them.

%<

It works alredy. “Use TexFace”

Now I know my fault: I just didn´t knew how to make alpha channels with Photoshop, but now everything works fine.