Treads

I am making a model of a sci fi tank. The tank treads on the model suppose to have some sorta part which is connecting the treads as you can see in the picture !. So I added a plane then I placed the plane along a curve and then used duplicated instances of the tank thread and the connecting part onto the plane faces. That worked fine except the thread started disconnect on the sharper edges so I uparented the threads and put them on a curve and left the connecting pieces as instances. That resolved that issue but brought another one with it, the connecting prices were not connected to the threads

Blender_ C__Users_Adamos_Documents_Cache for blender_Scorpion.blend 25. 6. 2020 21_36_42|690x379, 50%]

So my question is is there any stress free way to do this so that the connecting pieces actually are connecting the treads and so that the threads are connected too. If you are wondering I am trying to recreate this vehicle

Scorpion.blend (618.3 KB)

I built a rigid-body tank as one of my first projects, and I had the same issue. The problem is that when you attach the treads to the curve, they change shape or are otherwise stretched apart along the bends. It might be possible to get around the problem by using a chain of bones, but I’m not sure how that would be done. I think you would need to attach the bones to the curve somehow and then attach the treads to the bones.

that is kinda the same as instancing then along a plane that has a curve modifier. And yes I know that the curve modifier slightly bends the tracks so they fit

Hi Adam,

Have you considered looking at CG Cookie’s Tank Tread tutorial? See

Cheers,
Paul

So I got a free trail on the cg cookie website and the course is old but its the exact thing I was looking for. The only change I had to make is join the connecting part with the tread. Thank you for your help!

Glad it helped and happy blending!