Trees

Not understanding much of this conversation, but the trees look great! :smiley:

3 Likes

This will be the last shot of the old general store I’ll ever post, but I wanted to show how I was able to increase detail while cutting my polycount down by 3 quarters. I redid a couple of trees, the grass, a few plants, and the bushes. Plus, the trees aren’t instanced like they were before.

Originally, it was around 1,000,000 tris. Now it’s about 260,000ish.

8 Likes

Sooo…

A very rudimentary procedural tree generator. Do let me know what you think of it. The parameters labels are not very intuitive, please tell me if you can think of better ones! You don’t get beautiful trees instantly but have to tweak the seed value till you get something nice-ish

NewTree_Gen.blend (2.5 MB)

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s about fairly well brilliant.

Let me play around with it a little more, and I’ll come back with some suggestions.

1 Like

Okay, first and foremost, I’d expose a min/max scale for the individual leaf cards. I play with that setting quite a bit to make my trees look either fuller or more threadbare.

Also, a way to stretch and move the canopy without effecting the underlying tree mesh would be nice.

Lastly, I’d try to throw in a few extra shapes to generate leaves from, and maybe add a boolean node to get some more variation into the mix.

Other than that, it’s pretty damn neat.

Edit: Oh, and despite my earlier recommendation, I found that the trees generally look better when you let the point instance place the leaf cards per vertex, rather than use a point distribute to randomize them across all the faces. The cards are more aligned with the underlying geometry they’re grabbing their normal shading from.

…though there are times when you do want that randomization, so maybe a way to pick and choose which type of tree you want would work here.

1 Like