Triangles a bad thing?

I’m trying to follow on of the tutorials here in modelling a face. During the process of creating vertex faces (as opposed to human faces) I ended up with a couple of triangles.

Two questions:

a) I’ve read somewhere that triangles are a bad thing. Why?

b) Once I have triangles, how do I convert them to oblongs? It sounds simple but every knife, CTRL-R, subdivide I try seems to create far more vertices than I want and to create more triangles along the way.

the only thing bad abotu them is that they dont catmul-clark subserf well, other than that, games need tri’s since its simpler algorithm to draw.

MacBlender

the knife tool works a lot better on quads

convert to tris to a quad with alt+j [or perhaps just j, it works sometimes too]

they need to have the proper normals and be mostly planar first though, else nothing will happen

also, you can flip the edge between selected triangles with control+f

and convert quads to triangles with control+t
and do an automatic flipping of edges [very useful sometimes] with beauty fill alt+f

the knife tool works a lot better on quads

convert to tris to a quad with alt+j [or perhaps just j, it works sometimes too]

they need to have the proper normals and be mostly planar first though, else nothing will happen[/quote]

OK - got that technique working on 2 triangles in the same plane.

However, I have 2 triangles in my face next to each other that are not in the same plane so alt+j doesn’t work and I don’t think I want it to anyway.

Since no-one’s really saying that triangles are a bad thing when modelling I suppose I can just leave them as they are.

In those instances, it’s o.k to have tris. I normally ensure that my quads don’t lie on any sharp edges. Using face loops helps that.

Triangles are a bad thing. There, I said it. Quads are far better to model with because they are easier to make face loops with and you can always just change quads into tris - it’s far more difficult the other way. It makes UV mapping easier too.

I don’t know about games but I would think the game engine would support quads as OpenGL has specific code for it.

But it is essential for subdiv modelling and that’s type of modelling is very important for animation.

So, I guess the answer is not to create triangles in the first place when stitching vertices together.

That’s the best idea. When I started, I used tris all the time because you can model any shape pretty easily. It’s more difficult with quads but once you get the hang of it, you find how much cleaner the models turn out.

That’s the best idea. When I started, I used tris all the time because you can model any shape pretty easily. It’s more difficult with quads but once you get the hang of it, you find how much cleaner the models turn out.[/quote]

OK - thanks for the advice.