Triangulate Weird Shading

So I’ve been used to modeling and animating with (mostly) quads, but I’ve been trying to get used to triangulating my models to better work with rigging and game purposes. However, one article of clothing looks off when I add a triangulate modifier or directly triangulate the faces. I’m not sure if it’s because I also have a couple subdivision modifiers and a solidify modifier, or if I’m doing the modeling/topology process wrong in the first place. Here are some photos below:

Dress without triangulate modifier

With modifier

You have to add the triangulate modifier last. The subdivision surface modifier doesn’t know how to handle tris.

You also don’t need 2 subsurf modifiers.

I’d also point out, that if you’re gonna triangulate your mesh, then your base topology should be made up of mostly square faces. Currently, you have a lot of thin and rectangular faces. This will cause some stretching across edges which will likely show up in shading to some degree.

1 Like

Games, yes, but rigging in Blender works better with quads, BTW

Then your use of triangles should be explicite… you have to to know when and why using them… just using quads and triangulate then it not a optimization at all…
…and any superior in the game industry will see this and will know that you don’t know the gaming workflow and are unsuitable… have to be trained… unusable directly…
→ So don’t get the job yet…

1 Like

@BlenderTimer I see, thank you for letting me know!

@Magnavis I used two subsurface modifiers because I’ve noticed that if you have them only before or after the solidify modifier, the shading around the edges has a sort of “pinched” look to it. I might ask about this issue in another thread. Thank you for letting me know about rectangles vs squares! This will come in handy.

@josephhansen What about importing meshes and rigs into game engines like Unity and Unreal? It seems like most game models use triangles, mostly for rigging purposes.

@Okidoki I’ve got quite a ways to go before I actually try to get into the game industry, but I thought it would be good to start with reassessing the way I model and do topology. :grin: Do you recommend any resources for understanding this better and when to use quads or triangles and ngons?

It depends on the field you are aming to… and so who you ask… but in general:

• n-gons: prototyping, in hard surface modelling (not bent)
  • quads: if the polycounts get high (later on maybe even more subdivided and sculpted on) and VFX (you may see the toe of a T-Rex)
  • triangles: solves ( ← yes solves) many issues while animation game models… but also colud give som headaches on textures if they are too intense… – game engines uses tris only

A very long existing forum which also shares a wiki PolyCount Wiki Topology does differentiate between rendering and realtime topology…

And a thread with a somekind of rought title…

…is re-cited/linked/pinned very (very) often on Pinterest and others for example… (if FrankPolygon can’t do it… then nobody can :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Indeed :sunglasses: