Trick or Treat! (Blender Cookie Halloween Contest '13)

Hi everyone!

First of all, I apologize for my english because it’s quite bad nowadays… Maybe that’s why I never write hehe

Now the reason for my post. As many of you know, yesterday was the last day to submit an image to the Blender Cookie’s Halloween Contest. It was about making something related with traditional monsters: ghosts, mummies, witches, vampires, werewolfs… Nothing modern.

The contest was announced on October 8th, but I noticed on Oct 19, so I had half the total time to make my render. Anyway, I decided to participate, although I work more than 8 hours a day. At first I was going to make some realistic monster, but there was no time. Then an idea came to my mind: Some cartoonish render. The thing is that a have 0 experience with this kind of work, so that was a challenge. I made a sketch of my idea on a little paper:

Well, so after a week of not sleeping and not going out, I finished my image just in time, and this is my entry:

Made with Blender 2.69, rendered with Cycles (1800 samples) and a bit of post with Gimp 2.8.

It’s a finished work, but of course any comment/critique will be appreciated.

Entry: http://cgcookie.com/blender/images/trick-or-treat-halloween-contest/

Hope you like it!

1800 samples?! Really?! Why man? :smiley:

great scene, the little ghost across the street is a nice touch :slight_smile:

The way it is lit has a neat Polaroid camera flash look to it.

And don’t apologize for your english. That was more concise and punctuated than many native speakers.

Ouch, I posted in the wrong section, it should be at Finished Works… :confused:

piomar 1800 samples?! Really?! Why man? :smiley:

There are a lot of lamps, one for each pumpkin. Also the streetlights. Without environment lighting, plus hair rendering, and SSS, there were a lot of fireflies in the background. Maybe with 1200 would look fine, but I had to go to work and leave the pc rendering, so I put more than necessary to prevent a disaster :slight_smile:

Small Troll great scene, the little ghost across the street is a nice touch :slight_smile:

Thank you! You are the first person who notices that. But anybody recognize him… He’s a movie star!

Storrboy The way it is lit has a neat Polaroid camera flash look to it.

And don’t apologize for your english. That was more concise and punctuated than many native speakers.

Thanks! Maybe it’s because I pay attention to what I write, nothing else… Glad you like it :slight_smile:

Cute! That could be quite a contender.

Well, the contest finished but I’m not one of the winners (they were great!)

Will try harder next time

Love love love this image! Any chance of a WIP wire frame? X)

Thanks! Here you have: