Trouble implementing simple topology

Hey folks!

So, I’m not really a beginner in Blender, but I am not artistically skilled, and mostly use it for simple things. But I’m trying to get better at modeling. I threw something together I was half-way okay with, but I already started running into issues where my hasty mistakes are making it hard to modify things.

So anyway, I started looking into best practices and topology, and found images like this and the YouTube playlist stickied on here (and some other YouTube creators) and it seemed like a great idea, but when I went to put it into practice on things more complicated than a subdivided plane, I immediately got stuck.

So I’ve got this cockpit-thing here:

and despite the colouration basically all of those faces are planar (everything but what’s through the doorway)

So I tried to implement that “3 to 1” pattern below the doorway, and that seemed to work out, but then I realized that unlike in the drawings where it’s all one plane, here there are things to the left and right of this whole thing. So now those two big faces on either side are effectively pentagons.

Ok, but I could use a pattern again on the left and right side, but, that would require more lines, which would then turn either the top face or outer face into a pentagon instead…

but those outer faces are already quads. So… now those would need to be solved.

So all in all I’m not sure how to actually implement some of these patterns without just moving the pentagon or triangle around to another face.

Any tips here on how I should actually think about these kinds of things?

I would just have the edges wrap around the model.

Reduction patterns are nice to know, but your model here is quite a bit too low poly to worry about using them. When you have a simple, box shaped model, the convenience of having a clean, square structure is going to be more important than trying to reduce the polygon count at all costs.

These patterns are more useful for organic models, like characters. Example: you might use them to prevent the dozens of edge loops on a hand from all going into the arm, which would make the arm unnecessarily polygon dense.

Problem solving is simple.
I might be thinking too complicatedly. :slightly_smiling_face:

Right, okay, and then that would continue around the far sides as well, then and loop around to the edge on the right. I guess that’s okay, but it does mean that the faces on the far side are feeling the effects of this doorway, which I was hoping to avoid.

So I’ve added this loop, but here’s the thing; I know this is simple, but I’m trying to learn. And the next thing I want to add to this model is to cut some windows into these far faces like so:

And in theory they’re going to be very similar to the doorway, and I worry that the whole thing is going to get very messy very quickly, with lines going all over the model to support these windows, so I was hoping I could get a handle on this door here before I started to make a real mess of things again.

But, I do know I sometimes put things off. Is this something I should just push through, and let the mess be messy?

Is this the result you want?
I didn’t fully understand the question

It’s impossible to keep every face perfect.
I’m just trying to create a good topology.
You can fix the wrong topology at any time.

Right, okay, I guess I am overcomplicating things. I was bitten so quickly and so early by my lazy mistakes, that I swung too far the other direction and am now in my own way trying to “do things right”!

It’s nice to know that I’m not crazy, and that sometimes the pattern does just move the problem to a different face. I was worried I was missing some really obvious way these patterns were meant to be applied in a more realistic situation than a simple plane with nothing else on it. I’ll try to keep a better balance and not stress out too much about the ngons ready to pounce on me when I least expect it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Good handling of topologies is of considerable help in modeling.
You just have to keep trying. :slightly_smiling_face:

The images in the link below deal with topology modeling.
It will be helpful if you look at it in a leisurely time.
https://www.youtube.com/@Motionworks/videos

1 Like