Let me start that I’m new at using Blender. I’m trying to learn how to import a mesh from Blender to UDK. I’m using Mike’s ASE Export script. I tried to import a simple cube but it looks wrong in UDK. The geometry itself is fine but the UV map is not. I’m using Blender 2.6.2, ASE Export script 1.41, and UDK March 2012.
Here are my steps:
- Create a new project which gives me a default cube with a material and texture. From Properties window, Scene tab, change unit system to metric.
- Select the default cube and change dimensions to be 4m all around in Properties panel. I do this so the cube is not so small in UDK.
[From here on out, the cube is always selected.]
- In Properties window:
– 3.1. Go to Object data tab and create 2 UV maps by clicking on the + sign twice. This will give me “UVMap” for my texturemap and “UVMap.001” for my lightmap.
- Go to the UV Editing screen:
– 4.1. On the 3D View window, go into Edit mode.
– 4.2. On the UV/Image Editor window, make sure “UVMap” is the active UV Map by selecting it from the header.
– 4.3. On the 3D View window, press U for the UV Mapping menu and select “Smart UV Project”. I don’t change any of the options and select Ok.
– 4.4. On the UV/Image Editor window, make “UVMap.001” the active UV Map and do the same thing as before (Smart UV Project…). I make no changes to the resulting mapping for my test.
- Go back to the Default screen. In the Properties window:
– 5.1. Go to Texture tab and change Type to “Image or Movie”. Select an image file for my texture.
– 5.2. Under Mapping, change Coordinates to UV and Map to “UVMap”.
- Render image to make sure it looks ok, which it does. Save file.
- Export cube to ASE file. There are no errors in the system console.
When I import the ASE file through the UDK content browser, and double click on the mesh, the UV mappings are messed up where lines are criss-crossed. I’ve attached pictures for clarity.
I’ve also tried marking seams and using the “Unwrap” method for both texturemap and lightmap. I get a different UV mapping of course but they are still messed up in UDK when I import.
I don’t know where the problem is. I’ve looked at multiple tutorials and searched online but I’ve not found the answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.