Trouble with UV unwrapping shape - Calorie Mate chocolate model

Hello,

I’ve been trying to make a model of a CalorieMate chocolate bar, I tried using boolean for the holes but it screws up the base mesh of the bar, so I decided to make the holes on the base mesh itself using vertices. I only started working in Blender recently, so there’s lots of stuff, a lot of basic stuff, I don’t know about.
For reference, here is a photograph of what the bars look like:

Here you can see an overview, a top view and detail on how the mesh was made and how the holes work;

The model in question has a Subdivision Modifier enabled, put to 4, that way it makes it look smooth. The modifier wasn’t applied when I took the screenshots;

However, I assume that because of the vertices that I extruded and moved down the Z axis into the model, the UVs are no really weird, even when I add seams that would fix the UV, it still has stretched parts, is it because I didn’t apply the SubDiv modifier? Is it because of the density of vertices?

I isolated the top with a seam and it looks like the holes are causing the problems:

Does anyone know how I can properly UV unwrap this model and does anyone have any tips on how I could make this look good, like a real CalorieMate?

While keeping things simple is always great, keeping things too simple can create problems. There are two reasons for the UV warping that you’re getting. One is obvious - the UVs. You’ll need more seams to isolate various areas of your mesh for the unwrapping (holes and the sides). The other is the subsurf. It moves your vertices (and your UVs). The larger the polygons - the more it moves them. This creates distortion in the texture. In other words, if your mesh has too few vertices and too large distances between them, subsurf will move them (and the UVs) a good deal.

If you want to continue with your current model, your best bet is to Apply one or two levels of subsurf, and only then unwrap the model (you can add more subsurf on top of that as a modifier if needed).
The warping and damage on the bar you can add in various ways. You can sculpt it, or you can use something as simple as a Lattice modifier. Do note that if you intend to make some extreme damage, you’ll likely need to unwrap the damaged model, not the original, since by damaging it you’ll again be distorting the texture. Some small variations would probably be fine with a base unwrap, but bigger changes will require re-unwrapping.

Here’s a quick simple example of an “okay” mesh that isn’t subject to too much texture distortion:
calorie_mate.blend (414.8 KB)

I’ve built just one “hole” and the geometry around it and then just duplicated and mirrored it, extruding the sides and grid-filling the bottom almost at the end of modeling. After that it was just some bevels on the top and bottom and a couple of supporting edges for sharpness that can be seen in the reference image.

Note that the unwrapping in that file is just an example (literally an Unwrap with seams). If I were actually building this model I’d spend more time on it, straightening the UV islands, sizing and positioning them better, etc. But it should suffice to give you an idea on what to shoot for.

1 Like

Hello,

sorry for the late response, I got really sick after posting this, but I started anew with what you suggested and figured out the topology but I don’t know how to duplicate the vertices on the same model without seperating them. I made one “hole”, how do I manage to duplicate it and still have it be part of the mesh?

Mesh -> Duplicate duplicates your current selection. You can transform it freely, or, in your case, you can use vertex snapping and move and snap it on the side of the original. Afterwards you’d need to select the overlapping vertices and merge them by distance.

1 Like

Is there a video tutorial that showcases the process in detail perhaps? Also, which vertices exactly should be duplicated? I tried copying and merging by distance but I also had to copy the outer most vertices of the hole section and merge them at the center…

Forgot to add a pic of my mesh

There is one now :wink:

I’m using the LoopTools add-on there. It’s bundled with Blender, you only need to activate it in user prefernces, if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like

Big HUGE thanks! Awesome! I’ve used the video to fix mine, the way you make the hole mesh is a lot faster than mine! I have unwrapped it and my UVs are thankfully all normal as far as I can tell, I will now focus on texturing and the material I already made for it. I’ll come back if I have trouble with something.