Troubles Deleting Objects (newbie problem)

First and foremost, hello everyone. I’m new to blender having now had the program for about 3 days, and so far I really enjoy using it.

For the most part, learning the program has been pretty intuitive and straightforward, with much help from the online tutorials and resources provided by blender.org.

Recently, I made a spaceship and a planet for the background, but I soon decided that the planet (a UVSphere) was out of place. I deleted it and saved, assuming the project was just as it was before adding the planet. Now the particle settings that I had adjusted are all gone for the rear flame coming from the shuttle. Though they still render just as before, it prompts me to set up a new particle system whenever I try to edit them.

It seems to me that the planet has left an artifact (I think that’s what it’s called), and is selected whenever I select the particles. therefore I cannot access only the particle system for editing, and there’s a little pink dot floating around all the time. I went into the outliner and the UVSphere that I created is still attached to the scene.

Is there an easy way to fix this problem? Whenever I select the UVSphere in the outliner, and then delete it in the 3D viewer I can only access Object Mode for viewing, and cannot get to the particle editing buttons anyway.

I hope it’s an easy fix.
thanks in advance for all your help, CutRock.

You deleted it in Edit mode, so you only deleted the Mesh that was linked to the Object (represented by the little pink dot) and not the Object itself. Goto the F9 buttons, Links and Materials tab and find the ME: datablock feild while that pink dot is showing (the object is selected), open up the little menu on the left and choose the Mesh that you deleted.

If you have saved in the meantime you may have lost the ME: mesh so you can either select any other, or create another IcoSphere and select its mesh then delete the donor.

%<

Hey, I’m sorry to not be able to put your responce to use, but I can’t seem to get it to work.

I went into the Links and Materials tab like you suggested, and selected the object who’s mesh I deleted. But nothing really happened after that. I’m not sure what’s supposed to happen, but nothing appeared or allowed me to delete it that I couldn’t do through the outliner.

I tried recreating an IcoSphere, but I’m not sure how to delete the ‘donor’ or what that even means. From what I understand, you told me to create the mesh, then delete it.

I know I’m probably very frustrating to teach, and I’m very sorry for that. Again, thanks for your time.

Add another Icosphere. In the OB: field rename it ‘Donor’, it’s going to donate its meshdata.

Select the original Ico and from the ME: menu select ‘Donor’. Your original Ico should now have a mesh (donated by Donor object). You can now delete your Donor mesh.

Goto F7 with the original selected and see if the Particle settings are still there. If not come back and say so.

%<

Now, instead of having a pink dot where the planet used to be, I have a pink dot where the donor used to be.

It’s the same situation as I had before, but with the remains of the donor mesh.

The first sentence of my first reply:

You deleted it in Edit mode, so you only deleted the Mesh that was linked to the Object (represented by the little pink dot) and not the Object itself.

Delete Objects in Object mode.

%<

Now, instead of having a pink dot where the planet used to be, I have a pink dot where the donor used to be.

It’s the same situation as I had before, but with the remains of the donor mesh.

I deleted it in object mode. Now, once it’s deleted, I can’t access edit mode to adjust my particles.

Hehe… I don’t know what IT is. You deleted the Donor object. Now you need to select the Original object with RightMouseButton (RMB) because the Particles are linked to the Original IcoSphere.

%<

Ok, let’s try this again.

I have two objects, one Donor and one Donor .001.
I deleted both the Donor (connected to the materials of the original object) and Donor .001 using the right mouse button (RMB).

Now that both are deleted I can not access edit mode to access the buttons to edit the particles. The pink dot is gone, but I can not access anything accept object mode.

Yeah, you fluffed it. You had an Ico (Original) with no mesh and you added another Ico (Donor) whose mesh you were going to donate to ‘Original’.

Just send me the .blend and I’ll fix it for you ([email protected])

%<

I think I got it.
I added in about ever shape I hade and then deleted them both in each order possible, and eventually I got it to where my shuttle was in tact and I could access my particle settings again.

Thanks for your patience, sorry for getting a little frustrated through there.