Trying my hand at the Pixar Eye

I decided to try to make the pixar eye so I would have a model that could be used in othe rcharacter models in the future. Unfortuantely I still need a lot of work. My 2 main issues witht he eye, are where iris and the white part of the eye meet, they seem to overlap and and it looks bad. I have tried to scale and move everywhich way, but to no avail. My other issue is the lighting, I have trouble with getting it to refelct on the right spots as shown in the tutorial. I was wondering if some one could look at my blend file and give me some pointers. I’ve only been blending for a few weeks, so keep that in mind. Thanks for any help you can give.

my file

I can’t access the blend.

If you really have a space in the URL no one will ever be able to get at it. If you don’t the link’s broken. http://home.comcast.net claims it doesn’t exist.

I tried 3 or 4 times before I got the eye to work. I was just learning, but there are a couple of tricky points. Now that I have it all I have to do is swap the iris texture.

The light source should be near the camera to get that nice sparkle off the iris.

yeah was my first time trying to get a file up like that, but it works now. Please take a look if you have the time.

Sure the blend file works now, but Dark Savant did you remember to “Pack Data” to save the textures(File>Pack Data) before you saved the file?

It’s a good start, but you have a few problems you need to address.

First, select your iris mesh and press F9. Tab into Edit Mode. All the vertices of your iris are already selected (but if they weren’t you’d have to select them). In the “Mesh Tools” panel press “Flip Normals”.

I could tell this by switching to “potato mode”. That’s “textured shading mode” in plain English. All I saw instead of the iris texture was a bunch of lines in a circular grid. Back in “solid shading mode” I hit F9 and clicked “Draw Normals” in the “Mesh Tools 1” panel. This showed that the normals were indeed facing the wrong way.

Second, split your 3D View window and make one of them a UV Image Editor window. In the 3D View enter UV Face Select mode. You’ll notice that the image window shows a single square. That’s not right.

Press E and click OK for “LSCM Unwrap”. You should see something like:
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~mgreer/blender/uv-eye-lscm-mapped.jpg
This is of course my own iris image (since you didn’t pack yours). I also had to adjust the inner ring of vertices (select and scale in). You may have to move things about a little bit too.

Third, press F6 (textures). Under the “Colors” tab turn the RGB values all back to 1.0. What you’ve got is giving you a funny bluish tint and not the texture colors straight from your image.

In the “Image” panel, turn off “Normal Map”. You don’t need it.

Fourth, press F5 (materials). If you hit the square in the “Preview” panel it’ll be easier to see what happens when you change things. Turn down Ref a little bit. Turn down Spec a lot. I set them both to about 0.7, but your results may vary. Turn off “Shadow”. You may also want to press the “Tex Face” button…

Under the “Map Input” tab, click “UV”. Everything else looks OK.

Finally, you asked about the apparent joint at the edge of the iris and the sclera (the white part).

Inside the eye.
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~mgreer/blender/eye-interior.jpg

Outside the eye.
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~mgreer/blender/eye-exterior.jpg
(I turned on wire for these pics.)

This is the reason for the black lines and apparent “bump” around the iris. Move it so that its edge is inside the sclera. You might also want the sclera’s edge’s radius to be slightly smaller than the iris’s outer edge’s radius. This will make things look beter.

As a final thought, the cornea (the blue thing in the middle) should be as big as the iris, and cover it. If you Google “cornea” you’ll get a better idea of how it should be shaped. What you’ve got is OK, but it will look funny if you do any really close-up images of the eye.

For that special “sparkle”, you can place the iris by itself on a layer with a lamp. In the lamp materials, click “Layer” to make the lamp affect only objects on that layer. You can then adjust the lamp to get that special sparkle.

Hope this helps!
whew

The first and biggest problem you have is that you’ve made the lens way too small. It should sit on the outside edge of the white part of the eye, not down on the black part. From side view it should look like a ping pong ball with a small bump one side.

Your lens (cornea) is off-centre and I believe, slightly rotated and this also causes glitches at the joins.

Assuming you did the same tutorial that I did, UV mapping wasn’t required. The iris image was just applied as a texture, as you seem to have done, and it sits neatly centred around the pupil.

Also, on my eye model I made the iris much flatter than you have. Mine looked more like a dinner plate with a hole in while yours looks more like a soup bowl (if you know what I mean). Also, change the spec/hard settings on this part to reduce the glare. This should give you softer specular
transitions on the inside of the eyeball.

Also, you still have RayTrace turned on and the beauty of this eyeball design is that it gives a nice specular effect without raytracing.

When I first tried it, I found it easier to restart from the beginning.

Andy.

Your lens (cornea) is off-centre and I believe, slightly rotated and this also causes glitches at the joins.

For the anatomists and other interested persons out there, can I humbly apologise for referring to the cornea as the lens.

In my previous post, disregard “lens” and substitute “cornea” instead.

Thanks.

Andy.