trying to create general mouse over script

I’m trying to create a script that I can just attach to just one object (the camera in this instance), that will temporarily change the color of any object that you mouse over. I can get it to change the color of objects, but not to change them back to their original color after the mouse is no longer over the object.

old, non working code I tried:

import bge                              
import mathutils
import GameLogic

cont = bge.logic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.owner
scene = bge.logic.getCurrentScene()

mouseoverany = cont.sensors["mouse over any"]
obj = mouseoverany.hitObject

if obj is not None and mouseoverany.positive:       #while the mouse is not over anything,
                                                                        #"hitObject" returns "None".
    origin = obj.color[:]                                            #I cant assign the value "None" to origin,
    obj.color = [0,1,0,0]                                       #so I added "is not None" to the "if" statement

elif 'origin' in locals():                                          #this part should change the object back to its original color.
                                                               #I use "origin in locals()" because if origin is not defined,
    obj.color = origin[:]                                 #there will be an error.
    print ("origin in locals")                              #

else:

print ("origin not in locals")

[SOLVED]

I was able to get my code to work with global variables. I created a script with an “always” sensor that set up the global variables.

import bge
import mathutils
import GameLogic

cont = bge.logic.getCurrentController() #use every time
own = cont.owner                        #use every time

GameLogic.oldobj = scene.objects["plane"]                     #the variable "oldobj" must be set to a dummy object first
GameLogic.newobj = [0]
GameLogic.oldcolor = [0]

then I was able to set up a simpler “if” statement in the main script to make everything work properly.

import bge                              
import mathutils
import GameLogic

cont = bge.logic.getCurrentController() 
own = cont.owner                        
mouseoverany = cont.sensors["mouse over any"]

if mouseoverany.positive:

GameLogic.newobj = mouseoverany.hitObject
    GameLogic.oldcolor = GameLogic.oldobj.color[:]
    GameLogic.newobj.color = [0,1,0,0]

else:

GameLogic.oldobj = GameLogic.newobj
    GameLogic.oldobj.color = GameLogic.oldcolor[:]

You could try retrieving the original color first, and storing it as a property. That way, you could just refer back to it once the mouse is no longer over the object.

is that not possible with local variables(I used “origin”)?