trying to figure out why the knees are bending the wrong way

I followed the rigging in “the essential blender” and my guy’s knees are bending the wrong way. I need some help here to see what I’m doing wrong.

Attachments

This is a simple problem, I’m almost sure that when you set the IKs, your tibia was perfectly align with your thigh… In this case the IK had to choose a preffered angle, and I don’t know why, this is 90% of the time a bad one. To avoid the problem, del your Iks, and bend lightly your tibia in the good direction, then set your IK… :wink:

N.tox ->

Thanks for the advice. However, I was unable to make it work. I’m now attaching a blend file containing only the armature (the mesh made it 40-something MB). Perhaps you can help me. I’m using the same armature in a number of my animations and they all have the same problem. Thanks!

Attachments

backwardsknees1.blend (413 KB)

Oh, and if it helps, I noticed the following printing out to the terminal:

Cycle detected:
leg.control_R depends on master through Parent Relation.
foot_R depends on leg.control_R through Parent Relation.
ankle_R depends on foot_R through Parent Relation
master depends on ankle_R through IK constraint.

edit:
I tried to duplicate this and can’t so I don’t know what I did to cause this to print out to the terminal.

a bit more exploration and it seems that there’s something weird going on with the knees. Notice if I put the knees behind the character, his leg bends the right way.

Attachments

So, basically, with the IK in the upper leg, the To and Lock fields were different for me. I think I may have messed up with Bone roll or something else, but at least it’s working correctly now. Yay!