Trying to get video texture to play sound, is it possible?

Hello all,

My first time posting here and I’m hoping some of you blender experts can help a new user like myself.

I’m using blender version 2.78.

I worked out how to model and rig some lego characters which I’ve textured. However I’m trying to use a character animator video for the lego faces. I managed to attach the video to the faces of my characters so it moves with them by adding the video as a texture to the face.

My main issue is that while the video plays and the face moves, the audio for that video doesn’t play. I know I can add a separate sound file in the film clip sequence thingy (sorry) as a work around but I’m hoping someone can just point out if I’m doing something stupid so it will just work from the video texture .

Thank you

This is quite simple actually.

Just open up a VSE, and drag your video file onto the timeline. Two strips will appear - the video and the audio - and your Blender file will get the framerate of the video - which is also helpful. The bluey-green strip is the audio - delete the other one.

Also - on the timeline - change the dropdown from “No Sinc” to “AV Sinc” meaning Blender will sinc audio and video.

1 Like

hey ! welcome to blenderartists,

Unfortunately this isn’t possible, blender take the image informations and give it to the shader and that’s all…
What you suggest could be indeed useful but doesn’t make much sense in general.
With the VSE it will be easy to add sound .

1 Like

that’s a bummer oh well I’ll do it via VSE then :slight_smile: thanks guys

Well, it’s not really a “bummer,” I would think. A texture doesn’t logically have sound. (Furthermore, if it somehow did, what the heck would you do if you had, say, ten of these little creatures on-set at the same time? It’d be rather like a roomful of nine-year old girls.) :wink:

So – an audio track. Put what you want to on it. Now you have proper control over what the audience hears.

lol, its a bummer in the sense that when I attach each video texture, I have to define the start and finish time for each video for each character.

If the video had sound, then I would be able to skip an entire step of also having to manually line up the audio tracks to match the video. Its not a massive issue as I’ve had to sync separate audio tracks to video in premier pro but just thought it would be cool if there was no need. Not that VSE isn’t useful just might not always be needed.

lol not sure what you mean by having a room full on nine year olds :slight_smile: I have 3 characters on screen at a time, they each have their own video textured face moving based on the talking they do. They don’t over talk each other as there is only one character talking at a time. I guess it could be problematic if there were multiple characters conversing as I’d have to record each character animator face with a pause to wait for the other character to speak and thats where VSE would be needed.

But thanks for the info :grinning:

yeah using video for facial animation is always a bit tricky, as you guessed it’s better to plan everything in the editing software and output one track per character that are all synchronized with each other, then base the 3D animation on that.

Adjusting timing with texture is quite painful…