Trying to run 2.5 alpha 2 in ubuntu 8.04

I installed python 3.1, downloaded 2.5 for 32 bit and when I try to run it from the terminal I get this dependency message :
"

./blender: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10’ not found (required by ./blender)

Anyone know how to install this missing file?

P.S.

The hardware on my system will only allow me to run 8.04 or lower so I can’t upgrade.

I had similar problem, but I solved it this way:

First, install Blender 2.49 through synaptic
Blender 2.5 should run fine (If you are using Graphicall build it just might happen that that particular build does not work, so try another)

Thanks for the reply. I can only get Blender 2.45 to show up in the synaptic package list. I tried installing that and it still does’nt work. I downloaded the build from blender.org. Should I try another?

I use newest ubuntu, and blender version installed through synaptic is 2.49b…

I really don’t know if this might be a problem… however, I can’t see that ubuntu 8.04 has much higher hardware requirements than 10.04… I have used both on my 2.0 Ghz 6 year old athlon without any problems…

I have succesfully used blender 2.5 alpha 2 from the official site and several builds downloaded from the www.graphicall.org

Hope this helps…

p.s. If your computer is more than 6 or 7 years old, I really don’t know if you’ll be able to work with 2.5. You’ll need better hardware because of Blender and not because of ubuntu

Try getting the official Blender Foundation build to work first. It contains all the necessary dependencies needed to run including the correct python libraries. Download, extract to desktop, open folder and double click. If not, all you need do is change the permissions of the binary to executable (right click properties). The last couple of versions, I haven’t needed to change the properties. If you want a GraphicAll build to work, uninstall everything blender related. Resolve all the dependencies using synaptic (apt get) and try install and run the GraphicAll binary you want again. There are already number of threads here detailing how to do this. Search for these and follow the instructions. Currently running official build on Ubuntu 10.4 (updated from 8.04 and used the same folder/binary) & OpenSUSE 11.2. Otherwise it is a problem with your drivers for your graphics card since the dependency seems GL related. Is 3D accelleration working on your machine. If not install the proprietry Nvidia/ATI binaries properly and make sure the drivers are working correctly. Of all the things your need for Blender, a half decent discreet graphics card is one of them, especially on an aging PC.

Thank you for your replies. My machine is a three year old touch screen HP with an actual geforce 7800 card (no on board graphics:yes:). So far I have tried Ubuntu 9.10 and mint 7 on my machine and they both give me a whole course of problems after I turn on my nvidia graphics acceleration driver (which by the way works perfectly in 8.04) and 10.04 crashes my computer immediately after install. All this though is besides the point. The file listed above is what linux is saying the dependency is. I just need to know how to install this file and blender should work fine. I have 2.49b from blender.org working fine on my machine following the same steps mentioned in the messages above. 2.5 must need one file that did’nt come standard on 8.04. Any help in getting this file would be appreciated. Thanks!

What happens when you run ‘ldd blender’ on the downloaded binary, do a google search to figure out which package the missing libs are in and then install those?

I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.2 and installed the nvidia’s proprietry driver from the repositories after adding the nvidia repository. I also have Ubuntu 10.04 (The Studio spin for the kernel), however, I downloaded the driver from nvidia and used the manual install method, after installing all the kernal sources/compiler from the DVD and allowing the nvidia to compile the drivers. I followed the instructions from nvidia’s site. I need compiz always… The current build from blender.org works fine with compiz on both. Curious how you installed the driver as I am using the same graphics card.

Curious how you installed the driver as I am using the same graphics card.

System, administration, hardware drivers, enable nvidia drivers. This is in 8.04, 10.04 just shows up as purple, green and blues directly from the live cd. Something is just not right cause I can’t get anything later than 8.04 to work at all. Not even the live cd- ubuntu or fedora.

Searched on google for problems regarding “`GLIBCXX_3.4.10” and came up that it seems that opensuse 11.0 has something to do with it but I have no idea how to install opensuse, it doesn’t come up in the repository. By the way, how would I get my repository to come up with the same list of programs that a 10.04 user would get?

Upgrade to 10.04…

Looks like your error is because the version of glibc on your boxen is too old to run the pre-built binary that was linked against a newer version.

You need to install the driver from nvidia, either using the restricted extras repo for Ubuntu or download the driver source from the Nvidia site and compile yourself. There are clear instructions on the Ubuntu site. The driver that comes with the CD-ROM is only there to get the computer working and does not support 3D acceleration. Fedora 13 has an experimental open driver for nvidia which supports 3D acceleration and is the first non-proprietary driver shipped with a major distro to do so. If the live CD does not work, then there is an issue/conflict with your hardware. Simple as that. I have so far never had an issue with a live CD not working, except for smallish issues like USB, wifi etc., and I install various versions of Linux for the owners of aging hardware who don’t want to buy a new machine. If a previous version distro worked, it will be a driver issue for some piece of hardware in your PC that the installer doesn’t have or recognise or the new version of the driver has a bug. Try use failsafe boot instead. Judicious googling will usually come up with a solution, although normally a little difficult to follow for a novice. Don’t you have a linux savvy mate whose expertise you can use? If not, try contact a local or nearby LUG and I am sure you will find someone to help and possibibly make a new friend? OpenSUSE is a distro. You will need to download the iso, burn and install.

Doesn’t this work?
apt-get install apt-file
apt-file search /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

lib32stdc++6: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
lib32stdc++6: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
lib32stdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14
libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6-4.4-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
libstdc++6-4.5-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14

apt-get install libstdc++6

If a previous version distro worked, it will be a driver issue for some piece of hardware in your PC that the installer doesn’t have or recognise or the new version of the driver has a bug.

Is there a way to check if this is the case and track down the problem? I would really rather use 10.04. (Sorry to turn this into a linux help thread:o)

Doesn’t this work?
apt-get install apt-file
apt-file search /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

lib32stdc++6: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
lib32stdc++6: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
lib32stdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
libstdc++6: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14
libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++6-4.4-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
libstdc++6-4.5-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14

apt-get install libstdc++6

I did the updates required for this and when I put in the last “apt-get install” line it says the lib is up to date. The list it show also only has two libs but it says it has 6.0.9. Any who, blender is still just staring at me when I try to execute.

anyone there?

Sure…

But as I said a few posts back your glibc is simply too old to run the version of blender you downloaded.

You must either build blender yourself or upgrade your OS.

Do you know of a good place to look to solve the hardware conflicts I’m having with ubuntu 10.04? I’ve searched and searched and haven’t come across anyone else that is having the same problems as I’m having.

Did you try posting at ubuntuforums.org ?

Download the 32bit and 64 bit Live CD images of Ubuntu 10.04. I am assuming that your PC has a duo core and can run 64bit as well. Try running the live CDs by booting directly from the CD-ROM. Remove the HDD if needs be. If either works well enough, it should install without a problem. If that doesn’t work out, try live CDs from OpenSUSE 11.2, Fedora 13, PCLinux or distro of your choice. Any newish distro will be compatible with the official Blender Foundation build. Blender 2.5 IS definitely compatible with Ubuntu 8.04 as this was my OS of choice until a couple of months ago. It may be some obscure piece of hardware that is causing the problem. Try remove all peripherals and add-in cards, TV cards etc and try run the live CD as close to barebones as you can. If the live CD boots, but your subsequent install fails when on reboot, try failsafe mode and if this works, it is a driver that is causing problems. You will need to isolate the faulty driver/hardware. I suggest you remove your original hard drive and install on a clean, nuked and paved hard drive. Or nuke and pave the existing hard drive with a proper low level format. Make sure that the partitioning software is set to do a low level format when the partioning is finished. When you have a working OS, install the correct proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers properly. It is not as simple as just switching on 3D acceleration in the control panel. You need to end up with a Nvidia settings application in your Gnome main menu. Check that the 3D acceleration is working. I normally check that compiz is working. Oh and check your ram with Memtest86, you can use the live CD. That and low voltage supplied by old PSUs are the normal reasons for erratic behaviour on a PC. Once you have a clean system sans cruft running on your machine, it will be much easier to trouble shoot.and get Blender running properly.