TUTORIAL: Lossless WAV Compression

Hello all! In my recent struggle to make the ridiculously large size of .wav files diminish, I have discovered a very simple easy way to do so.

Currently, without PyGameSound or other specialized scripts, blender can only natively support .wav files in it’s game engine. This is generally a problem because wav files are the largest sound files available, generally speaking. For a high quality wav song, you expect around 50-80mb right? NO! It’s all in a little technique called compression.

What do you think of when I say compression? Warbly cymbal crashes, bad sound quality, poor tone depth, etc.? Well my friend, all those perfectly good MP3s on your pc are all compressed. That’s right, that’s even what MP3 stands for: MPEG Layer-3 Compression. This same quality compression we’ve all come to know and love can be applied to compress a .wav file, using tools already on your pc, DRASTICALLY reducing file sizes. A 80mb wav file can be compressed to as little as 1.2mb! Here’s how:

• You need some kind of .wav file. To convert nearly any sound file to a wav, try Audacity, the open-source music and sound editor.
  • Next, if you’re on windows, open up “ound Recorder” from the “Accesories” folder on the Start menu, or click on “Run” and type “sndrec32.exe”. There is also a simple sound recorder on both Mac OS X and most Linux distrobutions, but I’m not sure on specifics.
  • Now that your .wav is open in Sound Recorder, click on File > Properties.
  • In the window that pops up, click “Convert Now…” at the bottom of the window.
  • In the new window, next to “Format” select “MPEG Layer-3”.
  • Click “Save As…”
  • Choose a name for the new file and click OK.
  • Click OK until you are back to the main window.
  • Next click File > Save As… and choose the location of the new file.
  • Finally click save and your done!This method not only provides nearly lossless compression, but can also be done with tools already on your Windows PC. That you for reading and if you have any questions, please leave a reply and I’ll answer them right away. Thanks!

This looks really good. I was able to make my 20 MB wav file into a 800 KB wav file.

Unfortunate, (I was hoping I was wrong but) blender can’t use compressed wav files. When I tried to import the compressed wave file, blender gave me this error:

“Error not a valid sample”

BTW: I’m on Windows XP.

really? aw man…i thought I had figured out something awesome…dangit. I’ll work on it a bit…

You may refer to the following there method to compress WAV files

Method 1: Compress WAV to other audio format

• Compress WAV to lossless compression audio format without losing audio quality like compress WAV to FLAC, compress WAV to Apple Lossless ALAC M4A
  • Compress WAV to lossy audio format like compress WAV to MP3, compress WAV to WMA, AAC, RA and etc.

Method 2: Lower WAV bit rate

• With this method, we can easily reduce WAV file size without changing WAV audio format.
  • The lower the bit rate, the smaller the WAV file size, the lower quality of the WAV audio.
  • In most cases, WAV audio quality shows little difference between 128kbps and higher bitrates. WAV quality will become crappier if the bit rate is less than 128kbps.

Method 3: Compress WAV to other audio format as well as lower bit rate
The third way to compress a WAV file size is that we simultaneously apply Method 1 as well as Method 2.

Resources: How to Compress WAV File Size without Losing Quality on Windows or Mac?

I know a software called iDealshare VideoGo which can easily compress WAV, AIFF, AU, APE, MP3, PCM, DTS, Apple Lossless, RA, WMA, AAC, AC3, FLAC, OGG, CAF, and etc.