Tutorial request:New Physics and Refresh rate options

Could someone do a tutorial for us amateur blender users on how to set the new physics and frame rate options.

As an aside I have never understood why a high frame rate (>30fps) is so important. Film operates at ~24fps, Video operates at ~30 fps. And I have read that most people do not see motion artifacts on anything above 15 fps. So why do people on this forum get so excited when they get something like 50fps or 100fps??

Not much to do a tutorial on. It’s basically 2 functions. Although I have any idea behind it besides it works.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33278&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Actually tweak the values to see which one works better. Lol, Fireside says these numbers are a bit abnormal (might not run on some computers).

Always->Python Script 

import GameLogic 

GameLogic.setLogicTicRate(60) 
GameLogic.setPhysicsTicRate(120)

Jason Lin

About framerate, I think some people can’t notice above 15, but I know some people are a little more sensitive than others as well. Also, if you are running at 15 most of the time, and the framerate drops, you will be in trouble. At 30fps, even if it drops a little, you will still be at >24 which is a very respectable framerate. But I don’t know, I can notice when something is running about 30fps and when something is running more than that. 60 is about my cutoff point where I can’t notice it any higher.

But I certainly notice the difference between film (24fps) and video (30fps). They have a very different feel to me. Video feels a lot more natural, and film feels more cinematic.

Video actually runs at 60Hz (NTSC) on TV sets, because the picture is interlaced. One frame shows half of the scanlines, then the next frame shows the other half. This method effectively doubles the refresh rate of the video.

Anything below 60 on a computer monitor is definately noticable. This is probably due to the way CRT monitors work. LCD screens are better at showing low frame rates because they only refresh the pixels when needed. There’s a reason why film looks good at only 24fps, but I can’t remember the reason.

High frame rate is essential for some gamers, as performance is paramount in games such as first person shooters. One slight slowdown or jitter on your computer can often mean the difference between winning and loosing a shootout.

Basically games play a lot better with high framerates! There’s nothing like stuttering along at a low frame rate to break the immersion of a game. It can get frustrating trying to do things when everything isn’t running smoothly.

can someone explain me what that script does and how to use it
What happens if I change LogicTicRate and what if I change PhysicsTicRate

Blender 2.35 or more uses 30, but what’s 30?
People think it’s the fps, but why is it choppy then because in movies they use 25fps and that’s really smooth.

solution
that 30 isn’t fps, it’s hetz. If you have a monitor and turn down the refresh of the screen to 30 hetz (if possible) you would see a lot of flickering. 60 Hets is currently used on the most monitors for a smooth display, that’s why setTicRate(60) makes the game less choppy. (some screen now are set to 75 hets or even 95)
Setting hetz for physics didn’t seam to be usefull for me, it messes up the physics a lot when you set it on 120. So if you want the game running smooth, use only setTicRate(60) and no setTicRate for physics (personal comment, else always possible :smiley: )

LogicTicRate will set how many times a second the logic bricks/python are updated, physicsTicRate sets how many times a second physics are updated. If you have logic that is not too complicated, and you need it to be updated more often, you can set that higher. If you want physics to be more accurate, you can set that higher. But higher rates will have an effect on the framerate, especially on slower processors.

Saluk comes thru again. With a complete and resonable answer to a somewhat complicated question.