TV-out problem...

Hi, I connected my laptop to my TV (via S-Video). The image works fine, though when the screen displays darker colors the scan-flickering is somewhat visible. I read that lowering the monitor resolution solves this problem. Anyway, my problem is that I am not able to connect the laptop’s sound to the TV speakers (built-in). Do I need a second cable for the sound alone or does an S-Video cable already serve that function? My laptop’s using an NVIDIA Geforce 5200Go

(Not sure if this forum is appropriate for this, but it sort of has to do w/ computer graphics. Sorry if this should have been posted in the off-topic.)

Thanks,

Aorus

S-Video carries video only, for sound you’d need a seperate one.

you need a 3.5mm miniplug, to 2 RCA plug.

they come as cords, and will plug into headphone sockets then go to your TVs white and red RCA plugs.

Alltaken

sorry, have to move this to offtopic. you’ll probably have a better chance of getting an answer there anyway.

Roel

Or in the US, that’s a 1/8" stereo phono jack to RCA stereo.

yeah and about the screen flickering there should be a refresh rate adjustment for your monitor

display properties > settings tab> advanced > monitor tab > screen refresh rate

at least on my winxp machine and make sure you have selected the second monitor (tv) when you adjust it. sorry i don’t know which you should do for your tv, just play with them

On that topic you have to realize that television in the US runs on 30 frames per second, with 2 fields a frame. That’s 60 cycles a second.

So set the monitor refresh rate to 60 whatever the hell it is and you shouldn’t have any problems, as the tv and computer will have a much easier time syncing.

that isn’t the problem

the problem is that effectively a televison only has ~200 horizontal lines, and where they are alternate every redraw [because it is interlaced]. So, when downsampling the screen either you loose a lot of detail [by sizing to be only those 200 high] or you become able to see the refresh.

also, iirc, televisions have effectively half the resoultion for color as they do for black/white signals.

That being said the default resolution for standard depth NTSC video is 720 X 486. So each pass does have 243 lines of horizontal resolution. With HDTV moving towards using progressive scanning this will change quite a bit.

I’m still going to stick with my story though, as it is more likely to be a refresh problem than a resolution one, but I guess that can depend on the video card being used. All of my workstations run on NVidia cards and I’ve never had a problem using different resolutions, and I chenge the resolutions quite often for testing purposes.

Both manufacturers whose equipment I use on a consistent basis, Pinnacle and Newtek, recommend setting the screen refresh rate at 60 whatever the hell it is.

Either way, a lot of the new HDTV’s are also hi def computer monitors, so come July 2007 all the worries may be over. I did an installation for a friend a few weeks ago of a new 42" plasma and the thing was just totally sweet as a computer monitor too.

Have a great one.

Actually the issue is probably a bit of both. And the problem also has to do with tv screens not being square pixel. So the aspect ratio on tv is actually not the same as on your computer.

since the tc screen only does 720 px wide… a lot of video cards with tv out will try to send a 800 x 600 type signal to it… which works, but not too great. Try setting your monitor/tv out to that though, it should make it easier for your laptop since it won’t have to resqueeze the image.

You should not be able to even set the refresh rate for your laptops tv output. tv outs have a default refresh rate, though setting it to 60 may make everything a bit easier for the video card, especially if it doesn’t have it’s own ram.

Oh and please tell me your laptop has a line out for sound so you don’t have to use the headphone out. Headphone out can be used but since it’s amplified, it’s not a wise choice and if you happen to have the sound to loud you could blow your tv’s imputs.

I’ve had the best results going from cinch (you know the yellow cinch plug for video) to scart. I don’t think S-video has exactly the same aspect ratio as a tv screen either. So in your case your squeezing your monitor out into s-video and then your tv tries to make it intelligible by redoing it again… no wonder you have phase issues.