Two MakeHuman 0.8 Model Questions...

I’m trying to use a character model I created with MakeHuman Alpha 0.8 (an awesome app so far!) and have two questions:

1. Any advice on how to reduce the mesh size (number of vertices)? I tried an app called VIZup (which I’ve used on other models successfully) bit it didn’t work. Is there a way in Blender to do this? I’m trying to import my model into a simulation app (game).

2. Any advice on rigging the model? I guess earlier versions of MakeHuman were already rigged, but apparently the latest version is not. Has anyone done this already or have any advice?

Thanks for your help!

For number one, have you already tried using the decimator?

Decimator… give me a hint, where is it? I found the “Pyredux” script and am trying that now, but didn’t find the Decimator function.

I’m worthless at creating organic models, so MakeHuman is my salvation. Now I’ve got to figure how to get it’s models to work for me.

Any advice on rigging? I guess in version 1.8 (from last year?) it created pre-rigged models, but not this newer version. I plan on reducing the mesh as best as I can, then texture map it, then rig it… sound about right? Final model will be in directX format, but I’ll probably use Ultimate Unwrap to do the conversion (it does a better job than the scripts I’ve tried).

Thanks

I’ve yet to rig my first mesh, so I can’t be of much advice there. :wink:

For the decimator, start in object mode. Click on your object (person) and go to the Editing Context. Under the Mesh Panel, you will find the decimator that show the number of triangles (I’m guessing). Use the left arrow to decrease to your liking. and then click the Apply button below.

The problem with descimating (or simply reducing the geometry whichever way you do it) is that you loose your Vertex Groups. If that’s not a problem then the best way is to merge loops. I’ll find the script and post it later.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36714

%<

The problem with descimating (or simply reducing the geometry whichever way you do it) is that you loose your Vertex Groups.

I’m still a bit of a newbie, so by “vertex groups” you mean groups of vertices to be assigned to a bone? I didn’t think MH 0.8 exported any skeletal info (although it must use it internally). The exported file is a .OBJ and I didn’t think that Blender supported skeletal/rig info on imported .OBJ?

I guess my basic problem is that, although I can model in-organic stuff pretty well, human characters are beyond my skill level. So MH gives me an opportunity to create a character to my liking pretty quickly. The model MH creates is many times more complex than I need, and I’m finding alot of “internal” structure (tongue, teeth, eyelids, etc) that I don’t need. Removing them may just mess up the entire model though.

My objective (although it may not be do-able) is to reduce the poly’s in a MH model to a couple thousand tri’s, texture map it, rig it, and then use it in a 3d simulation app I’m working on.

Any and all advice is appreciated…

so by “vertex groups” you mean groups of vertices to be assigned to a bone?

Yes, v1.8b had them. I haven’t tried to rig anything from the latest release so maybe they dropped them.

The exported file is a .OBJ and I didn’t think that Blender supported skeletal/rig info on imported .OBJ?

Which, if I’m not mistaken, will triangulate all your quads. Theoretically that shouldn’t increase the vert count but will make redux a nightmare when it comes time to animate; there will be triangular faces of all different sizes and shapes juxtaposed without regard for how they deform. So, using the Loop script (which will keep your quads intact) before converting to .obj would help keep a uniformity (at least of size) when they are triangulated.

Whatever. Seems you’re going to have to do all of the rigging after redux anyway. What will you use to export the animation to the sim prog?

%<

Yeah, I think one thing I’ll try is to install the old 1.8 version of MH. That version worked within Blender, so might be better. Do you happen to know if MH 1.8 works with Blender 2.37 or 2.4alpha2 (the only versions of Blender I have at present)? How about Python 2.4?

What will you use to export the animation to the sim prog?

Good question. At present, the sim only supports frame animation (using DirectX), not vertex or skeletal animation, so I’m kinda stuck. If I break the character up into pieces, I can animate it but it’ll look crappy. So I’ve put animation on the back-burner while I think about it.

No, I wanted to rig the characters to make it easier to pose them and tweak the poses for use as static models. Might seem kinda backwards to rig it first, but I thought it might give me more flexibility later.

1.8b doesn’t need external Python, and it works in 2.37a. If you use 2.4 then the Envelopes should make it easy to rig a model from the new MH, as Vert Groups are not used.

%<

Thanks Fligh%, I think I found the old MH in their archives. That’s probably the best way to go. Thanks again for your help.