Two questions regarding rotation

Hi all,

Two simple questions:

I’m investigating using angular velocity to turn objects in my game. Normally I would use ordinary drot as it gives a crisp turn. But to my questions:

1: I know dloc movement is bad (bad!) for fast moving objects (due to it ‘teleporting’ into objects and messing up the collision detection), but is the same true for drot? During a turn is it possible for an object to mess up the collision detection as with dloc?

2: Now, angular velocity: I can easily set this in Python, I prefer it to torque for steering as it provides a more controlled turn. But how do I control (via Python) the rotation damping (as in the physics tab)? I like to set this high (as .97) as this gives a crisp turn that does not spin forever (and gives a little inertia). If I hover over the option I see ‘GameObjectSettings.rotation_damping’ but I cannot see any reference to this in the documentation.

Perhaps I’m being thick (most likely!) but does an option for setting rotational damping exist? If it does not, is there a way to emulate it using Python?

Cheers

Paul

Indeed it behaves the same as Rot. As you usually would turn in small steps you would not notify much differences.

You will see the teleporting

• on large angles (e.g. 90° degree turns)
  • objects with large radius as the location change on the outer edges are larger

Similar to linear velocity the angular velocity is a velocity. Explicitly setting it is like an acceleration from zero to max. Dumping will not help as long as the velocity is explicitly set.

Dumping will take place if the velocity is not set. See the configuration at the physics tab (Damping:).

Setting a velocity of zero usually does nothing. I think this is because it is interpreted as “do not change”. But you can set a small velocity (>0.001) for a full stop.

Excellent- thanks for the tips Monster, will come in handy!