Tyler - lowpoly game character

now the shoes (still without normal map)

and the neck texture:

Hey I finished the normalmaps now and wanted to start animating.

But i don’t know how to make a professional rig with IK Targets etc like for Sintel used.
Does somebody know good tutorials for doing this?

why not use the rigify-biped-human?

Enable rifigy addon, add biped-armature, change settings for some bones for twisted/single-bone usage and
run the rigify-creation.

The only thing missing is such like face-expressions. If you would need this, a first start could be the armature from a makehuman import (this is a lot more complicated like the rigify one and has not only ik-setups, it has too facial face-setup).

I added this human meta rig but i doesn’t have IK targets etc either :frowning:
or did i do anything wrong ?

that makehuman rig sounds nice, how do i import it?

found something: i will try this out first ^^

After you added the human-meta-rig (simple skeleton) you have to run the generation of rigify -> button in armature-section named “generate” …
and it generates all the shape-objects for different helper-bones and a whole new armature based on the meta-rig-setup.

(for the makehuman, you have to create a human for import with mhx and you get the armature incl. the mesh and the bone-settings for facial animations, moving mouth, eyes, … nose … etc.)

mmh… a picture for rigify may be better:

Attachments

i think the shirt needs some sort of texture. it looks bad compared to the well textured jeans

Thanks that helped me a lot!!!

i think the shirt needs some sort of texture.

hm… there is a cotton texture on it, but maybe i should add more contrast to it :wink: thanks for the comment i will make it better

mixamo rigs your character for free plus animation and other stuff so make sure you check that website.

ok got it working :slight_smile:

@M3Gamer: but you have to give the rights to mixamo, or am im wrong.

PS: some simple run for testing (sorry for the 256 colors)http://www.blendpolis.de/download/file.php?id=80149&mode=view

HELP
I can’t export this armature to udk :frowning: it says that i have to many bones and the vertex group count is not matching

Check out this thread, it should help you with the bone influences:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-254185.html?

got it with using fbx … but here it comes: the next problem :frowning:
why is the texture so strang (also on the fingers)

Yeah, I was gonna say, I think the Makehuman rig is too complex for UDK. I’ve never imported animations or characters, but I’ve used UDK plenty.

Are you following a set of instructions for importing into UDK, or are you just figuring it out as you go?

As to your texture problem, how many textures are you working with? Are you setting up new materials in UDK once you import? To me, the issue you’re having looks like there are two meshes competing for the same space - the lighter portions are protruding the darker ones. Could be a normal mapping issue, could also be a LOD issue.

Edit: I remembered I found a tutorial website a while back that focuses on using Blender3d assets within UDK. I don’t know if he has any character related tutorials, but it could still be helpful: http://www.katsbits.com

I used a tutorial with a treasure chest.

I’m working with one 2048x2048 Texture and one 2048x2048 normalmap. hm… that could be it …maybe i exported the mesh 2 times … i have to test it.

Thanks I’ll check that out.

PS: I’m now testing Cryengine 3 maybe I will change the platform ^^"

hi, about exporting armature,
the collada export has options to export only the deformation-bones.
This would be an easy way to export only the usefull bones for the engine animate the mesh.
But where one cannot use collada, there is only the way to do it manually.
I have setup my mesh with a simple human biped-skeleton and use the rigify-created one for animation. So every bone of the character-mesh got a transform-constraint of the complex animation-armature.
So i still have a simple base-armature for the mesh and for the export, but the animation-creation can use the benefits from easy switching between ik/fk and using things like foot-roll.
And if you are still looking for an engine, i dont know how far the collada support is available, cause i never checked it, but i have read about free engines using it.

collada is the dae format isn’t it?

i found a cryengine exporter but i did come to test it so that was my idea of switching :wink:

Thanks i will try it out :slight_smile:

… cryexport is even more harder than udk -.-
maybe i have to switch to 3ds max to get the model working :frowning:

PS: i worked a bit more on the animation

Had any luck with the UDK issues yet?

No :frowning: still searching for a solution. Unity has better support … I will have to check out the newest version but I didn’t have time yet.