Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

Thanks for the kind words 3dementia I hope ctrl+paint helps you and your daughter out as much as it is helping me. If you are trying to learn how to use Photoshop to paint than there is no better resource out there.

I wanted to see just how much progress I have been making, if any so, I thought I would revisit an old photo study that I did as bad drawing no 20.

so that you don’t have to scroll back to find it here is

Bad Drawing Number 20

Now 66 drawings later here is the same drawing done as bad drawing number 86. I think every-time 66 drawings pass me by I will revisit this photo study just so that I can see how much progress I have made.

Bad Drawing Number 86

There has been a big improvement in terms of accuracy, it matches the actual photo better. My on-screen blending of values has also improved but there is still more room for improvement. But its nice to get some kind visual confirmation that I am improving.

2 Likes

Wow, nice improvement! GJ Tyrant Monkey!

@thanks man

I was supposed to post this along with digital painting but my internet sucks. Last year around the time I started working through Michael Hampton’s Figure Drawing and Invention someone recommended that I check out Glen Vilppu’s Drawing Manual. I bought the e-book and it just sat there on my hard drive.

So I decided to change all that. I have now got three books I am studying from Figure Drawing and Invention, Bridgeman’s complete guide to figure drawing and Vilppu’s drawing manual. Lots of studying ahead but like I am now seeing it pays off.

Bad Drawing Number 87 Vilppu study

Bad Drawing Number 88 Vilppu study

just 12 more drawings and I will have completed 20% of my goal or to put it another way 100 bad drawings will be done

Bad drawing no20 is much better than no 86.
It has better and cleaner shapes-solutions on the face.
Chin may looks a bit wrong, it’s a tonal issue.
A tip on this, could be the way OGL shader or matcaps work.

@michalis no the shape in bad drawing 20 is definitely off maybe I will post a picture of my references the are errors in number 86 but shape wise its closer to the reference than number 20 by a big margin. But number 86 has its issues I am still not happy with my abstraction and use of edges. But edge control takes a long time to learn so I will keep trying.

my reference photo so that you have an idea as to what I am using to compare my paintings to. Like all my photo studies the source is from portrait-photo.org

Attachments

bad drawing 20 is damn terrifying :wink:
Your making good progress though, im sure once your 400 bad drawings down you will to rename it good drawings XD

You’re making constant progress.
I like your style.
I am impatient to see Bad Drawing Number 500.

:smiley:

Great work you have in here :wink: well done

@filou.rod thanks man, 500 drawings extremely far away but hopefully I will get there one drawing at a time.

@miskolciart thanks man

back to the studies I have not drawn for too long. But the year is about to end things are slowing down and I have more free time on my hands.

Back to Bridgeman’s complete guide to Figure Drawing. I am studying using cubes to draw heads.

Bad Drawing number 89 - 11 Drawings more and I will be in three figures and 400 drawings before I reach my goal. There is still lots of work and studying to go. I have just barely got going.

quick update,

Bad Drawing Number 90 a photo study, slowly I am getting the hang of digital painting and values are starting to make a bit of sense now.

ten more drawings and I hit 100. I think its time I hit the books and do some Michael Hampton and Bridgeman studies.

Doing the bridgeman thing…

Looking good man. I really like how you treated the chain in #90. Keep…it…up. :slight_smile:

thanks man.

gotta keep the wheels turning.

Bad Drawing Number 92

Bad Drawing Number 93

Both are revision studies from Figure Drawing and Invention

i am watching your thread since i came to this forum, and i admire your determination, it already shows its positive effect :slight_smile: … the improvement is great, maybe you should start to call them “not too bad drawings anymore” :wink: … the portraits are interesting, and i love inparticular the middle top foot in #92, great use of line weight, wonderful dynamic lines, almost vibrant with the subtle swinging curves contrasted with some well placed edgy lines. beautiful. … keep going and have fun!

@doris thanks for the kind words man

Gotta keep the wheels turning one drawing at a time, some Bridgeman studies

Bad Drawing Number 94

Bad Drawing Number 95

I admire your obstinacy, this is an exemple for everyone, just keep going, I’ve been following your threat for quite a long time, coming and seeing what you were doing from time to time whitout commenting anything. But by now, I just want to congratulate you for this…

On my side, 2D is something I really need to improve,that’s as also something I’m struggling with, I mean focusing on one field(drawing as exemple). I like that, but If I spend my free time drawing, I can’t keep modeling or doing something else like animation…
I have to choice, and It’s really frustrating for me as I like to be polyvalent…

However, I’m aware that drawing is fundamental (in my opinion) if we want to become a good character artist and have a good anatomy knowledge.
But as I’m interested in several things at the same time, It doesn’t make things easier with my dayjob and etc…

So yes, I know how difficult It’s to be all the time motivated, and I want to congratulate you once again, keep this up :slight_smile:
By the way, I see you are drawing with the help of bridgeman’s book, do you “just” copy his drawings or do you try to create your own drawings trying to use his technics ?

The girl drawing is definitely amazing, the corrections you did were amazing, it is an impressive improvement to say the least, I’m not very knowledgeale in what concerns drawing but I know detail when I see it and that drawing just looks spot on, the earing detail is also very beautiful

This is really wonderful stuff. It’s great to see the progress and determination. You’re making me really want to get back to my sketching.

@Kinrove Thanks for the kind words. At the moment I just copy from the books and do photo studies. My goal is to start putting all that knowledge towards drawing from my imagination. I will likely start with heads and try and get to doing the whole body from imagination by the end of this year. Drawing from imagination and still life drawing are things I want to add this year and some perspective stuff as well.

@bernardosgr thanks man. I also like the improvement. At least I could see I was improving sometimes when you just draw and draw you can’t see the progress you are making.

@JonathanW thanks and I hope you get back to drawing and post some works.

Bad Drawing Number 96 photostudy

Bad Drawing Number 97 photostudy