Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

Very impressive.
The eyes are wonderful,full of emotion.
You have nicely soften/blurred the edges of the silhouette, it gives a depth of field effect, good job.

Those last two turned out really nice. 96 in particular with all the flower rendering.

yes, i agree so much with filou, the eyes are wonderful in the last two paintings, they “sell the whole picture”. in #96 i like in particularly the contrast between “painterly and finished” to “loose and sketchy” it contains. it makes the picture very lively. wonderful work, great studies.

+1 These both are the best I have seen so far, and represent a substantial improvement.

Tyrant : Just one thing “Pay attention to nose, lips” you screw them off. Overall shape and forms you manage to get the light and the feel of it. Keep on drawing/painting! When drawing from photos try to imagine the subject in 3D forms , cause I see “flatness” of a photo rather depth of a painting in there.

@filou.rod thanks man much appericated
@xrg number 96 happens to be my current favourite
@doris thanks man, I am trying to go loss but my natural tendency is to over render stuff so I will take that as an indication that I am going in the right direction.
@3demntia its been a while since I read a comment from you, thanks man.
@Numarul7 ??? a paint over would help as to where you think I got the nose and lips wrong, right now I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say

next post some art, going through another www.ctrlpaint.com store bought tutorial “Creating realistic surfaces”. I have also started learning and painting with colour. Picking out values when you are painting grey scale photos is easy but suddenly when you throw in Hue and Chroma things go to another level.

a resource I am using to learn colour theory,http://www.huevaluechroma.com/, I also plan on buying James Gurney’s Color and Light book. I always loved his articles for ImagineFX and his blog is blast as well

More learning and the first 100 Bad drawings are down only 400 more to go.

after seeing where I was with Bad Drawing number 96 I thought it was time to start adding a little colour to my work. Colour is about 10 times harder than working only with value.

Bad Drawing number 98

first colour photo study…Lots to learn still

Bad Drawing number 99

a bit of Loomis revision, I want to try and draw some heads from imagination

Bad Drawing number 100:yes:

After George Bridgman torso studies

Now that I have reached 100 bad drawings my aim is for the next 100 is for about 25-30% of the drawings to be from my imagination. I will still do lots of studies because I need to have that sturdy foundation.

Color study looks really good. I look forward to seeing some imagination pieces from you.

Proko is a site I discovered only like a week or two ago you might like. He mostly has videos on anatomy construction and things so far, but his recent one started delving into color, edge control and things like that.

@xrg thanks for that link, the site looks really interesting I will definitely be bookmarking that one.

I love your sketches. I always did.
Your color study is copying a photo and this is not good.

I know sadly the are no figure drawing classes where I live. Seeing as I work during the day and paint at night I can’t bully and force friends and family to pose for me. A man gotta work with what he has been given. Or maybe I will start doing lots of self portraits.

LOL
Self portraits is what we all did in the first year at FineArtsUniSchool of athens.
When I wrote about copying photos, I meant some stylistic photos. Take some photos of your family, friends. Simple poses, as when someone poses for you. And BTW, front view, side view…
@Tyrant
I still wonder. why don’t you join the dyntopo sculpting club? It will help you a lot on the 2d paintings-drawings. You may overpaint on renders or anything. It will be fun and, I’m sure, it will be very interesting.

Copying from life it’s much better than copying a photo tyrant monkey.
Even if you can’t have people posing you can copy yourself,or you can do fast life sketches in some parks/gardens,even animals are interesting subject to learn(of course if you don’t draw only on evening).
What most people fail to understand is that it’s really not important the details,only the proportions and the good understanding of shapes in the space,when you draw you actually are trying to capture a shape embedded in a space and in the light.
Shapes in the space means sculpting,if you can sculpt you can draw ten times better than people that draw from 2d source(photo).

1 Like

Bad drawing 98 Put some highlights on the nails , top lip. Eyes need a little shadow to see that the eyeball si spherical. A little detail to the theet.

I have been hit by the lazy bug. Time to get back into drawing. I did some studies from Bridgeman and started reading James Gurney’s Color and Light. If you are looking for a book on Color I would highly recommend it as a good beginners book.

Bad Drawing Number 101

Bad Drawing Number 102

I know its not a drawing but I started playing around with dynamic topology again. Not much of a sculptor I think this is like my third dynamic topology sculpt, the first one was a head I did a year ago.
An alien creature I started with the skin modifier and than sculpted.

That’s a really nice sculpt. I need to do more of those myself.

It seems I still can’t shake the lazy bug. I am not studying enough for some one who is desperately trying to get better at this. Anyhow here are two studies one after Bridgeman to continue my work from his book and another after Loomis. I am trying to learn how to work from imagination so I am studying loomis mannikin figure. I want to try and combine that with what I learned from Hampton’s book.

Bad Drawing 103 after Bridgeman

Bad Drawing 104 after Loomis

That Loomis set is really solid. I just recently found out some of his books are back in print finally. I need to pick those up, I’ve been working off Loomis PDFs of questionable legality for like 13 years. His “Successful Drawing” book in particular is really good for learning perspective.

Why not try to draw out your alien guy up there for an imagination study? He’s got some fun, appealing, exaggerated forms that could be fun to try to pose.

You have such an amaznig work ethic in this thread… i read most of teh same books but never die them as excercises…

That said i wonder if all teh study is holding you back from just diving in and doing it?

Always great sketches, wonderful ideas. And some powerful sculpting.
Maybe it’s time to start another series of bad sculpting. On the new sketchbook topic this time.
Keep posting !!