Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

I am happy like a pig in mud…(I have been waiting to get my hands on these books for some time now. I have them all in my hands)

Time to put in some work …starting with “How to Draw”

perspective 101

Bad Drawing 152

Bad Drawing 153

All the exercises are supposed to be done free hand, boy it’s pretty hard drawing a straight line especially if you must try and draw it only once.

Bad Drawing 154

Nice. How to Draw is easily the best perspective book I’ve bought.

Not a bad choice of books. How to render is quite new, I should get it at some point.

Those you’ve made aren’t bad at all.
Edit: “Those aren’t bad at all” could point to the exercises but meant yours

I find straight lines the easiest. Not because it necessarily is easy but the way I do it seems to work for me. What I do is completely lock the wrist and move my whole arm with short lines and my whole upper body with long ones. I place the pen tip above the starting point and do a stroke without actually drawing anything to see where it ends. Then if it lines up, I draw the same line, usually dropping the pen tip on the paper while my arm is moving and lifting up before stopping.

If it doesn’t line up, I rotate the paper and make the dry run again to check alignment. It’s important for me to draw the line in a comfortable direction (where my arm is facing) so I rotate the paper rather than trying to orientate myself. Locking the wrist is the key, absolutely no movement, everything else can move.

Correct freehand ellipses with correct minor axis and constrained between two lines is hard for me. I’ve only succeeded to do that in one session, and that was when I was showing my brother how hard it is :confused: I really can’t draw them, I just failed at failing.

skull study after Bammes…slowly it is starting to make a bit of sense

Bad Drawing number 155

grids, grids grids

Bad Drawing number 156

Bad Drawing number 157

Bad Drawing number 158

really cool - you keep plugging away, and that is inspiring!

Definitely - I love this thread

Very nice.
Here’s a gift (though you may be familiar with the master)
paolo uccello drawings

@Craig Jones thanks dude I take it one drawing at a time
@swmo thanks
@michalis I did’t know paolo uccello, man the guy is something who needs Blender to make wireframe drawings?

Practising what I learnt from Bammes, the drawings uses some photos of a plastic skull an artist upload. I think I will hit the art store and buy myself a plastic skull or skeleton. These where bloody hard to do and the looking up and down poses came out wrong.

Bad Drawing Number 159

Bad Drawing Number 160 Lady Agnew after Sargent another master study

very cool, you are coming along with every drawing! Inspiring really

I think, Number 160 is the best you’ve done :slight_smile:

Lady Agnew! Beautifully made.

Beautiful, really. By the time you get to 500 you really will be a master (actually some time before I think)

Thanks all.

I have been far too lazy, 3 months and no updates at the rate that I am going take 15 years to get to 500 bad drawings:o. I got to kick this shit into high gear.

I thought I would check on my progressive to see if I am learning something from all these studies that I do.
Buried somewhere in this thread is

Bad Drawing Number 21

Many moons later and after having learnt a thing or two here is

Bad Drawing Number 161

Aha, i was missing your updates (yes, i’ve been lurking here for some months :wink: )

I love the sudden “disappearance” of lines :slight_smile:

339 to go, 6 to get the “perfect togo number” (333) :smiley:

@Gspin thanks for the kind words man, It took me a long time to get out of the paint by numbers mode.

I am always lurking on the conceptart forum browsing through the various sketchbooks, I have seen a few people there do exercise from stills from movies to trying to learn lighting and composition etc. I thought I would give this a try myself so a movie study from Harry Potter and the Deathly hallows.

Bad Drawing Number 162

Time to get back into ‘How to Draw’ I am about half way through the book and slowing working my way towards the more complex drawing exercises.

Those are some awesome “Bad” Drawings :smiley:

You´ve certainly progressed a lot since the last time I checked this thread. Well done :slight_smile: