Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

@tyrant monkey you might remember me as the old man who bought a Bamboo tablet and found out he didn’t really.

Unlike you I’m retired. But, not having picked up a drawing pencil in almost forty years this new Intuos tablet has pretty much kicked Blender to the curb in the last several weeks. Even with life being one long coffee break right now I’m finding it hard to jump back and forth.

But, the main reason for this post is you have made amazing progress in this thread or since revisiting 2d art I guess I should say. I will be following this on a regular basis. I know it’s tough with a regular job. I was taking commercial art and design at a community college years ago while working back shifts. But, I do hope you stay with it since this work is really showing promise and in some pieces you have arrived evidently. Well, as if we ever arrive. But, you know what I mean.

Thanks for the replies folks I guess this is a sign to get off my Butt and do some drawings.

@DruBan I gotta trust in the process. I am just a padawan and the master I follow draws way better than me, so for now I shall trust in his process and stick to nine steps.

@michalis Thanks for your thoughts mate.

@Gally Thanks, that still life was nerve wrecking to do but it was so much fun that I will definitely do more. I started learning Krita so my next post will probably be a photo study; I know, I know I shouldn’t draw from photos but I have no time at the moment and I just need to learn Krita quickly.

@theoldghost Thanks. I’m know that feeling of abandoning Blender, 2D art is so addictive and it is much quicker to do. Perharps I’m just too ambitious when it comes to Blender because my Blender projects usually drag on for months and end up abandoned but a drawing is something I can do in a few hours or a few days. I have noticed that I’ve been spending more time with Krita than Blender because that sense of accomplishment when you finish a piece comes more often and I like that feeling. Maybe down the line I will just stick to 2D art and not split my hobby time so much.

Next post will be art, I promise.

The use of photographs: Vertex Magazine

Bad drawing number 128 (shoes) is a top quality work!
Very interesting thread, a lot of inspiring works.
A lot of potential…very good methodology.

I know I am supposed to keep away from the whole photograph thing but I had to learn Krita as quick as possible. When my old desktop was up I was been a naughty boy and sailing under the jolly roger when it came to Photoshop. That pc died and I had I spend 12 months with MyPaint which led me to Krita. So here is me repenting and learning how to use Krita.

Old Painting was in Photoshop new one in Krita. I wanted to see how close I could match my photoshop painting. I think this one is better.

Instead of Photos maybe I start with master studies. I always loved John Singer Sargent’s work so I will start with him.

Bad Drawing 135

It’s time to get to 200 Bad Drawings this year.

@theoldghost thanks, I read vertex magazine so I have seen that one. Though my aim with the photo studies isn’t really with stylization but more with rendering.

@sabotage thanks, I will be doing more still life studies soon and hopefully I can keep improving.

1 Like

Impressive.
This new one asks for colors. Badly.
Great work!

I love seeing your work here. Very good indeed!

this one looks very well-done - nice rendering of the volumes, without looking over-blended. since blurring and blending are so easy to do, and it looks more “real” the more you do them, the temptation is always to do too much. it takes a disciplined hand to stop before it’s too late :wink:

my suggestion is that you draw your own hands. Drawing from images isn’t useful in the long run.

@michalis colour is kicking my butt. My brain is struggling to understand value and chroma but I have started working in colour now.

@James_Z thanks

@thanks for the kind words.

@Drawingisdead I just started learning my hand anatomy from Bridgman so I will be doing some hand studies from life soon.

I said no more photo-studies but more master studies. My first master John Singer Sargent

BAD DRAWING NUMBER 136 - after Sargent done in Krita, I love the reference docker

BAD DRAWING NO. 137 - after Bridgeman

Now I’m going to try my second CHOW on conceptart.org the topic is future rodeo riders which is just too cool to miss hopefully in two weeks time I have something nice to post.

1 Like

Oh yeah
I mean WOW!
However, you are studding a ready made painting.
See, how abstract it is? The artist painted only what caught his attention.
This is why I love your anatomy studies, no matter how crazy they become (sometimes)
It’s like trying to explain the difference between “see” and “watch”.

Thanks for the advice and compliments

Now BAD DRAWING 138

different direction I have been looking at a lot of cartoon character designers blogs like Otto Schmidt, Papa Ninja, Dean Yeagle and Loopy dave etc. I want to learn to do the whole cartoon pinup thing. I took a photo of a page 3 model and tooned it up. It sucks so many mistake but it is my first time using a cartoon colouring workflow, the only cure for suck is practice so I will do more as time goes.

Bad Drawing 138

Two more drawings and I will be at 140, that is my goal this weekend.

I think it’s an excellent first go myself.

@xrg thanks man, I will use that to keep on drawing more

Bad Drawing 139

I was checking out a tutorial on skin and thought to try these out myself.

I still can’t seem to sit down and do a CHOW or some Bridgeman studies.

Bad Drawing 140

Let’s make July the month of the skull…Skull studies from photo reference

Impressive!!!
Very well done.

Aye, really top notch job on that skull.

I just saw your thread for the first time, Great development, thank you for sharing your journey. The skull is great.

The skull is indeed great. A well developed painting technique.

thanks every one.

Bad Drawing number 141

I had to test myself again with another work from my imagination. I got inspired by reading about Berserkers who were crazy viking warriors that went into battle bare chested with just an animal skin though some say this is not entirely correct. I took some liberties and made my berserker a woman and she is carrying a scimatar.

I am not happy with how the hands came out, I suck at drawing hands

drawn from my imagination and in krita