Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

@dhamilton thanks for the kind words, that’s the big lesson I have also learned every time I struggle with something I have to remind myself to breath and remember that every drawing that I do is a learning experience.

Bad Drawing Number 183

another photo study, now I need to put in sometime and learn how to draw hands and do some schoolism work.

…and soon this middle aged, beer gutted dude who loves art and wants to suck a little less, will rule the artworld… You´re right, that sounds even more badass.:cool:

If I were in your shoes, I would put all my efforts into developing my sense of symmetry in basic perspective, because that appears to be your biggest weakness. (Mouths are almost always offset to the right for exemple)

Your values rock! (I mean the grayscale ones, although based on your attitude towards improvement, your inner ones probably do aswell :wink: )

1 Like

The old and the new

OLD VERSION BAD DRAWING 127…

New version trying to apply the Reily abstraction method.

BAD DRAWING NUMBER 184

These were all heads from my imagination. I need to really start working on rendering and anatomy starting from the bones to the muscles

Wow these are coming out good now. Rendering is also not fuzzy anymore.

I noticed your master study were those done digitally or with traditional medium? They are done very well. I do like that look.

Also I saw your bad drawing perspective practice. I get perspective for a landscape but its hard for me to shrink it down for lets say a design of a vehicle or creature. Vehicle not so much its more the spheres that get me. I tend to work better from a silhouette. What reference and learning tools have you used for Industrial design style perspective drawings? We are alike but you seem to be a bit ahead of me. Good work.

Bad Drawing Number 185 All about the Erector spinae

Back to anatomy studies. After Goldfinger, Bammes and Hampton. Traditionally drawn, scanned and coloured in Krita, I am seriously impressed with Krita’s ability in allowing you to separate your line work from the scanned paper.

there is no escaping learning anatomy to improve is there? I’m hooked on it to be honest. I’m currently reading ‘New Artistic Anatomy: Female Morphology’ by Dr Richer which I recommend.

Are there any tutorials out there showing how you separate your line work from the scanned paper in Krita?

I have his other book the big red one (I forget what it’s called but I think I posted a picture of it a few pages back). I am not too huge a fan of his because I hate the very old fashioned arrangement of his book where the text and the drawings are seperated.

Goldfinger is currently my favorite as it really breaks things down very logically; muscles are shown realistically, in a very simplifed abstraction and then with photos that helps you read the surface anatomy. The origins and insertions are also broken down beautifully. Bammes is my second favorite just because of his very beautiful method of abstracting.

For scanning in your work in krita (david revoy has a nice tutorial)

But the basic steps

1. scan in your work
  2. desaturate(Filter>Desaturate) it and play with the levels so that the white of the page,it doesn’t scan in as white becomes white.
  3. use a paint brush with white to paint out things like stray lines and scanning artifacts
  4. use the (Filter>color>color to alpha) the default setting has it to set anything that is white to alpha and you are good to go.

thanks for those scan-to-krita steps. I’ll try them next time I scan a drawing.

I find Goldfinger’s book to be a very dry read but there’s no questioning the depth of info. I have to admit that I rarely reach for it. I’ll give an honourable mention to ‘Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist’ by Stephen Rogers Peck which I find to be very accessible and is filled with memorable illustrations. ‘Drawing the Nude: Structure, Anatomy and Observation’ by Stuart Elliot is also a decent book.

I’ll stop highjacking you’re thread now :slight_smile:

@finty no it’s all good, I am a bit obsessed with Anatomy books myself, I already have the Peck book. I think I need to sit down one day and actually count all of them and take a photo.

Currently I want to get this Bammesbook that has been finally translated into English I have his ‘Complete Guide to Life Drawing’. This guy is the real deal but I think a lot of Anglophones would not have heard of him because his books for so long were only available in German, and This Italian one Some of the plates in Bammes book are rather rubbish so I searched the internet for cleaner scans and run into the Italian(Alberto Lolli). I have been obsessively looking through Pinterest the last few days to find any Plates from Struttura Uomo that people have scanned and posted I have never seen anyone break down the proportions of a skeleton quiet like he does.

Bad Drawing 186

(It’s time to finish studying How to draw) some revisions number 7 is the devil’s work. Rotated and tiled plane how I hate you.

Bad Drawing 187

another bit of revision

I am carrying bits of copy paper to work and when ever I have some ‘relax time’ I am revising this shit over and over at the end of the year I better be able to draw a space ship, car or motor bike.

The revival of this thread is picking up steam, I am gonna get to 200 Bad drawings by years end.

Bad Drawing 188

Me trying to figure out a plate from Struttura Uomo. Thank God for the mad smart people at Google who thought of Google Translate otherwise I would be hunting down Italian/English dictionaries right about now. (pencil sketch cleaned up and redrawn in Krita)

My obsession ( a few books are actually missing from this line up)

Those last two links are dead. It would be interesting to see your book list. I wasn’t aware of Strutture Uomo. Sounds like a good one.

Looking good . Keep on building up the mileage :slight_smile:

Oops. I re uploaded

@finity it’s an interesting very similar to the Bammes but it seems I can’t get it Amazon won’t ship it to where I live.

Bad Drawing 189

I thought I would try something a little different and to try and push myself a little. Ladies and Gents I present to you my first speed painting, I spent about 1 hour 30 minutes on this. Probably the most difficult thing I have painted. no refs used.

3/4 view portraits are my favourite to do. It looks pretty decent - especially since you drew from imagination. I like how the eye closest is more detailed than the one further away. This is something that Stefan Baumann suggests. If one eye is done really well then, assuming proportions are ok, everything else can be fudged a little and the portrait will still be convincing to a degree. I think it was in this you tube video that he mentioned it. The upper eye lid doesn’t seem to wrap around the eyeball in a convincing way though and I think the tail of the nearest eye brow could probably be moved a little closer to the edge of the eye orbit.

I’d also add a cast shadow under the nose if the light is coming from above (as the shadow under the chin suggests). Also the upper lip would be darker than the lower lip and the lower lip may have a cast shadow on part of it caused by the overhang of the upper lip. The contour of that cast shadow edge would emphasize the roundness of the lower lip and help to give it a more 3d feel. The ear lobe could also be extended to make the ear larger and line it up with the bottom of the nose.

Just some well intentioned thoughts that may help with the next drawing :slight_smile: That’s a decent line up of books btw

Bad Drawing Number 190

Another 1hr:30min speed paintings. I gotta study how to break things up into planes …

Did you intentionally make the eyes look different one from the other? I see in a lot of your work, that you have hard time doing symmetrical things, (not that humans are perfectly symmetrical) in 3/4 views is also obvious, you normally don’t put the eyes in the same line. So I ask my self if is not something intentional, or just some problem with your observation skills. I think you should start to flip the images from time to time, so you can see that more easy.
Anyhow, the work you put is inspiring!

@Tonatiuh Yeah I have been noticing the same thing but it’s on a giant list of things I need to start doing and practicing. I don’t think I have sat down and done studies on constructing the face or even studying features somewhere on my PC there is a yearly list that always states the same thing that I must do at least 10 pages of eye studies, 10 pages of mouths, 10 pages constructing the head from different angles, 10 pages of ear studies etc, I never seem to get any of that done. Time is always in short supply.

This thread has been dormant for some time so my current plan has been to just post more and get back into the rhythm of painting regularly then I need to try and finish Scott Robertson’s How to draw and How to Render Book, lighting and colour are some of the bigger things I need to start dealing with.

I have 310 drawings to sort out my figure drawing.

Yes I can understand that time is limited jaja… I feel that a lot to, I just wanted to pointing out that the six sense that everything works as a hole is important, not when you do one eye, but when you do two, it starts to get important, at least I feel that for me is important.
Keep it up!!! 310 drawings can get you really far!

let’s keep on rocking and rolling

More revision from How to Draw

Free hand ellipses, damn things are still kicking my butt

Bad Drawing 191

orthos to perspective

Bad Drawing 192

Try drawing these on a Wacom in one smooth stroke without stroke stabilizers. Then talk to me. Gods, I’ve been practicing these things for months now, and still difficult to pull off nicely. Gave me a whole new level of appreciation of Preston Blair’s work.

Btw, the flatter the spheres, the sharper the curves at the ends - yours remain too round. I am the opposite, often drawing the outer ends too sharply, and not round enough.