Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

@Morgan Nilsson thanks for the kind words

I keep on rocking, Bad Drawing Number 175 another Schoolism assignment we are supposed to be redesigning Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde this assignment is to focus only on silhouette and shapes. The top line is Dr Jekyll and the Bottom line is My Hyde.

Bad Drawing Number 176

Another schoolism assignment. It’s taking me long to work my way through these. I had to draw a head from a photo as realistically as possible and then draw cartoon versions of it. I don’t think I pushed the cartoon side of things far enough.

Nice work. Did you join for the full schoolism class w/critique or the recorded sessions?

one day i hope to be able to draw people as good as that

The yearly subscription without the critiques…It’s a bit of a bummer not to get professional critiques but you can review previous critiques of other student’s work which kind of helps because when we are all learning art we kind of all make the same mistakes.

Bad drawing number 177

I read an interesting post on James Gurney’s blog about master studies and the fact that the were so many artists doing them and uploading pictures of their work on the internet that when you google search for a work it becomes really hard to find the original among all the studies.

I took his great advice and I will now put a boarder and a clear title that my work is a master study(not that any one would confuse my work for Sargent)…So Bad drawing number 177
after Sargent.

Master studies are nice.
Caricatures work well and so do your still studies.
My favourites are the industrial drawings.

I’m jealous of your skills

@kwikker and SugarLand thanks for the kind worlds.

More schoolism

My version of Dr Jekyll, I am still working on Mr Hyde

Bad Drawing number 178

Schoolism is kicking my ass, I need to draw more cartoony stuff I seriously struggled with this one and I still feel like I didn’t push things enough.

I keep getting my ass handed to me with these schoolism assignment I got draw more cartoony stuff.

Bad Drawing number 179

Mr Hyde …I didn’t like how the arms came out on this one but at least I tried pushing the cartoon side of the equation

… and soon this young man will rule the artworld…

‘Young man’ I had to laugh a little at that the reality is that I am more like a middle aged, beer gutted dude who loves art and wants to suck a little less. Thanks for the kind words PixelPete.

1 Like

Hand studies after Loomis,

Bad Drawing 180

Andrew loomis ey?

I hear he has some of the best resources for learning to draw anatomy correctly :slight_smile:

I was planning on refining my character drawing skills at some point this year, as my proportions are always terrible, and i wondered if you have read this book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Figure-Drawing-All-its-Worth/dp/0857680986

And if so, would you recommend i buy it? i know the .pdf is available for free online … but i prefer to have hard copies so i can study them when i’m away from the monitor :slight_smile:

Btw… i’ve been browsing through the sketches on this thread… and i definatley think you are past the “Bad drawing” stage. Some of these are Really good man, especially the stylized character sketches :smiley: watching the progression in improving quality over the course of this thread is enjoyable! keep at it, you have improved greatly since you started this… (Even your first sketches are better than my current ones though, haha! i have a long road ahead of me if i want to learn to draw properly!)

@Jamie B Thanks for the kind words, Andrew Loomis books is definitely worth getting but I would also recommend Michael Hampton’s Figure Drawing and Invention and a good anatomy book like Goldfinger or Rogers Peck, Bridgeman’s books are also worth looking into.

Bad Drawing 20

Bad Drawing 86

Bad Drawing 181

The improvements I am making are getting harder to see, either I need to seriously kick it up a gear and start seriously studying more advanced topics or I am making far less mistakes. I can’t decide which it is:o.

Things I would love to cover in more detail:

feature studies

hands, feet, mouths, ears, eyes

still life drawings (I have not done any in about 3 years or so since I did the shoes)

Finish Scott Robertson’s how to draw and how to render

Finish CTRL+Paint rendering tutorial series

Hi tyrant monkey,

I think your progression and effort over a few years is very inspiring to the likes of myself who is also trying to improve. I think #181 is technically the best of the three - particularly hair and anatomy-wise. I have to say I prefer #86 overall though. It feels like you’ve captured the character best in it and the softer rendering is more appealing.

looking forward to the next ones

@tyrant monkey - Thankyou for the information :slight_smile:

Just had a quick browse on google using the names you provided, and there resources look brilliant. I’ve bookmarked the best i could find on various sellers sites. I think i should be good to go when i’m ready to start learning.

Your latest post is great! more than a 100% improvement over the previous two versions! :smiley:

Bad Drawing Number 182

Another photo study

The challenge you have set for yourself has truly inspired me I’m learning Blender and while I think I probably have more like 999 bad scenes before I have one good one, you have reminded me that you don’t succeed at anything without putting in the work and every bad attempt is one small step closer your goal. Thanks for sharing. Oww. And the eye looks awesome! Very well done.