Tyre Tread Tiler

treadtiler is an add-on for Blender 2.5x to simplify the job of generating vehicle tyres. You create a minimum piece of the tread, define a centre of rotation, and it will stitch copies of the tread pattern around the circumference to create the complete tyre.

The code is available here https://github.com/ldo/treadtiler.

any chance of a video seeing it in action

tried to download but it’s not working

how can you downlaod this and where >

Thanks

i got the git repo cloned, placed the script on the right folder, got the gui element to show up in the mesh tools and got the script to generate vertices… but all i got was that: a bunch of vertices going around a centre… no edges or faces. is that what the script is supposed to do or am i doing something wrong?

A Quick test of your script yielded this:

Suggestion to all those having trouble - read through the HTML tutorial in the doc folder on the git repository.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=7602

Just a note that it preserves material and vertex group assignments as well as smooth/solid shading settings. This way you can do as much as possible of the material and texturing setup on the initial fragment of tread pattern before putting it through treadtiler to produce the final tyre.

I have changed it to work according to the recommended Object→Action→Settings paradigm.

Further change: I have added adjustments so the rotation centre can be just an initial approximation, you can tweak it to your heart’s content afterwards. That’s the nice thing about Object→Action→Settings: you don’t have to be intimidated by seeing a lot of controls up front, because there’s no need to guess what they do—you can observe their effect immediately as you play with them!

I have done another update to keep pace with changes to the Python API. I am glad to see that more functional methods have been added to mathutils, as alternatives to the procedural ones.

Hey this is very cool and quite handy!

After a couple of tries I got it to work perfectly. The main roadblock for me was the rotation point vertex. This method feels very unintuitive. What about using either the object origin, 3D cursor, or another object as the pivot point? Having the ability to select this object, before and after the initial tread creation would be very useful and make the script a much more viable option for making tires. I would use it anyway :slight_smile:

-Jonathan

Yeah, I’ve wondered about the pros and cons of using a special vertex point versus the 3D cursor for defining the rotation centre. My main concern is that users would want reproducible results, so I was even thinking of adding a function to allow you to apply your adjustments back to the rotation vertex point.

My expertise is in programming, not modelling, so I welcome comments from actual users. :slight_smile:

I think this is where being able to define an Object (such as an Empty) as the pivot point would be very valuable.

seems lot’s of API change lately

so is there a working version fro 34983 or later ?

nice work and thanks
happy 2.5

(Sorry, it’s been a while…)

Just checked it against a build of 2.58.1 from the latest SVN, seems to work OK.

holyenigma74, Blender already has an array modifier that can use a curve. What does the Rhino one do that the Blender one doesn’t? You can even use an empty to create polar arrays. Am i missing something here?

yea you can array with an empty and rotate it, but then you have to do the math(its not interactive)
If you rotate the empty by eye, then just add numbers of copy’s to the array its not very accurate.

what i was looking for was an accurate polar array, one with interactive functionality
(as you add or remove copys from the array it updates in real-time)

Also arraying around a curve warps the geometry to the curve…

watch this tutorial it starts about 4minutes in…
its for blender 2.49 but it can be done in 2.5 and 2.6 also

now watch this tutorial… 4min-5min

See how this method doesn’t warp the geometry(however it isnt interactive)
its accurate if you know ahead of time how many copies you want,
then you can divide 360/# of copies and thats how much you rotate your empty…

what i wanted is something that would automatically calculate that for us…
(that the point of having computers in the first place) :slight_smile: