Ubershader v4.0 - New Release 5/24/2013, Come and Get It!

http://pasteall.org/blend/20563

Completely overhauled Ubershader released, full documentation in the first post. Enjoy! More pics to come for documentation.

Hey man this is great news!

I wonder, can we do a “SHADOW ONLY” material with the ubershader?, i mean a material that is completely transparent but can keep receiving shadows?

and i wonder the same about a reflective only material…

cheers and great job!

Hello, awesome job, will try it out later. :slight_smile:

No shadow only yet. Not sure how I’d do it with the tools currently available in Cycles, but I’ll definitely take a look. I’ve played around with a reflection only material as well, but I don’t have anything concrete yet.

for glass like mat
anything to help make good colored caustic may be for Gems stones

and will this be modified to include some volumetric later on when it begins to work well if possible?

will this be included in 2.67 ?
and is this available in SVN from buildbot yet or only special SVN

nice work man

thanks

Not much to be done about gem stones. Without dispersion it’s never going to look “right”. You can use real caustics to get part of the way there, or use a spectral renderer if you want the true effect. There’s not really a good way to fake something like that. For things less complicated than gems the included fake shadow/fake caustics should work just fine.

I’ll see about including volumes when they’re added, but more than likely I’ll be creating an entirely new shader for volumes as they’re just too different from surface shaders.

You don’t need anything special to use this shader. Just download the file, append it to whatever file you’d like to use it with, and go to town. SSS will only work with recent builds and only on the CPU, but aside from that everything will run just fine on any semi-recent copy of Cycles.

Well you’ll be my hero if you can figure out the shadow only . Are there any tutorials or documentation of any kind on using this Ubershader, I recognize that it somehow replaces having to do some more complicated node setups, but maybe you should put out a little howto video on the first page. Kudos to you Matt for developing this, it sounds like it is going to be helpful or time saving in someway.

Full documentation is in the first post. Tutorial should be coming soon, though not on my YouTube channel :wink:

thanks man, i really appreciate all your efforts!, keep it up!, if there is anything i can help you with, you name it.

I think you nodes are amazing, and would be cool, haveing that by default in blender package :slight_smile:

Is this shaders available in glsl mode? in the game engine?

No, this is strictly a shader for Cycles.

Sounds bitchin, thanks!

I was watching a tutorial the other day on youtube about merging CGI and real video footage (using camera tracking) - and was wondering if there was any way to project the background footage onto a floor plane object from the camera’s perspective (perhaps using the project UV from view function).

That could effectively render the object invisible, whilst at the same time still receiving shadows.

To illustrate my point - take a look at the following photo

You can easily create geometry from tracking points using the motion tracker built into Blender to get the effect you’re looking for on moving footage. It would be substantially easier to do for a still.

Thanks and congratulations, Uber Shader included in Blender 2.68!

Very useful !! thanks very much~

I suspect there would be many users grateful for your efforts with something like the above and another thank you for this fabulous shader.

http://pasteall.org/blend/21127

Version 4 is out. Re-added decoupled refraction/reflections, fixed a bug with matte alpha, rewrote documentation. Enjoy!

Really cool shader easy too use. But ‘relfection coefficient’ seems to be buggy, or I don’t understand it. From what I found it is
reflections coeff = (IOR_in^2- IOR_out^2)/(IOR_in^2 + IOR_out^2)

But for IORin = 1,3 and IOR_out=1 (refl coeff = 0,03) it seems to give almost no specular. Actually everything below 0,5 seems to give no enought specular at angles parallel to view. I was comparing it to ior 1,3 in Mitsuba, and that is why I think it is not accurate.
Thanks again for great shader