Ubuntu 11.04 Final out

Upgraded two of the four machines I use from Meerkat and both are borked.

Grub -> menu on the one and total sh-t on the other, a laptop, my fault it went into hibenation and when I woke it it was at the TTF ‘accept licence’ crap, screen flashing on and off repeatedly and no access to the TTF licence exceptance, as the upgrade terminal window was blocking it and wouldn’t move, no key would advance me so had to reboot and now try to rescue with the LiveCD. Utter cr-p, along with the god awful Unity. Hate windows interface for blocking windows don’t expect it from Gnome. :slight_smile:

Rescued the desktop with grub error, used it last night, dumped Unity and 3D effects junk and now it hangs on boot, more crap to deal with. :slight_smile:

Next to no apps, can’t get USB audio working again for some reason.

Feel better for getting that off my chest :slight_smile: , worst upgrade experience on linux since the old Redhat days.

From what i understand Mint are going to keep the old gnome panels but with the gnome 3 back end.
Have you found any problems with painting in gimp with 11.04 Micheal, it’s really choppy for me.

Pressure works in Gimp, but yes, it does seem a little choppy… I’ve also had issues with vlc being choppy on playback on my laptop…Both are fixed fine if I do classic (no 3d) …

I have no use for any of the compiz stuff though, so that’s fine by me…I’ll save all my graphics card juice for blnder thanks!
I guess I’ll defer judgement 'till the next release, but I guess I’ll be checking a range of distros then!

Freemind, linux audio is a different mindset… lots of small programs hooked together by jack is very powerful and there’s a wealth of instruments and plugins… it’s not for everyone though.

I’ve been using linux nearly 6 years now I guess… I’ve never “needed” windows except when a client supplies me with proprietary toolchains… but then I just use synergy to give me one big desktop across multiple machines… I needed a mac most of last year for final cut and read/write of pro-res codec… sometimes I “need” aftereffects…usually because it’s a cheap plugin host… but I could often do the same thing in blender… and Nuke/digital fusion are both options for linux…though both are incredibly expensive compared to after effects!

I agree with all your points Michael. They better focus on drivers and have last compilations of programs in the repositories instead of changing things to different places. The important for kids is the look but for us is the programs it has.

But hell, they are doing the best they can and for free. They have my respect. They launched unity but permitted us to get back to Ubuntu clasic.

About disabling or definitely removing the scrolling hide bars (but I let them at the moment, kind of get used to these fuckers):

Bao2: Good to see the users exercise the freedom of open source!

I realise I may sound harsh but I strongly believe in user choice and configuration. Nobody knows my business better than me…

Let ubuntu have its defaults, but don’t let arrogance creep in that this is the best way to the point where it becomes the only way, take it or leave it… that’s when I switch!

And Open source rocks, of course… thank goodness linux comes in many flavours!

Thanks Micheal for the conformation i wasn’t sure if it was a hardware conflict on my side.

Benchmarking ubuntu 10 vs ubuntu 11 (I have each in its own hard disk in the same computer) with the same scene, 500 pases 8bounces for Min and Max:

Ubuntu 10 (Nvidia 260): Not option to choose GPU

• 4min 11sec

Ubuntu 11 (Nvidia 270)

• CPU: 4min 20sec
  • GPU: 2min 53sec

I found a problem not solved yet in Ubuntu 11.04 with SanDisk USBs.
These USB memories when plugged in a windows system show two devices, one of them shows with a DVD icon and have the name “U3 launcher” and the other is the USB memory. In ubuntu 9 it was showing the two devices as in windows. In ubuntu 10 it only shown the memory, better in my opinion (the U3 has a program to encrypt the data but you can’t run it in linux so it is useless showing the device).
Well, in Ubuntu 11 at the moment only the U3 device is shown. And if you go to the Ubuntu forums you can find a thread marked as SOLVED that says that to be able to use SanDisks in Ubuntu 11 you have to go to windows, download an app from SanDisk web that removes the U3 device and then you can go back to Ubuntu 11 and you are able now to see the USB device (you must go to Menu / Places, it don’t shows in the Desktop by default).

Well, what if I don’t have windows?
What if the USB is not mine? I can’t remove that in an USB of other person even if I have windows.

I hope this be solved because I think it is a nightmare.
By the way thanks to this I learned there is an app to remove this U3 launcher that really is annoying:
SanDisk U3 launcher remover: http://u3.sandisk.com/launchpadremoval.htm

love it. usign since alpha. reinstalled at beta1 and was surprised that nothing needed setup for me. i check marked “install third party” in the installer and when i booted up by graphics drivers were already active and everything else worked great as well. after working many months using unity i can’t use much else, i can stand not having the title bar and menu not mixed when i’m using my macbook. There are various space saving things that really add up, plus i love the launcher and it makes my workflow much faster, i enable other corners besides just left and right in compiz so i can easily organize the desktop. anyways yeah i love doing animation on it

I had this problem too at first. It seems to be gone now. An update must have fixed it. EDIT: Oh wait, no it hasn’t. It seems to come and go though, only happens in GIMP too, no problems with MyPaint, ZBrush or Blender. I’ve filed a bug report.

Otherwise I’m really impressed, the kernel update seems to have made things pretty snappy, and the new unity display is really nice. It would be nice as a table user if I could figure out how to flip the dock over to the right though, it’s an easier gesture with a pen.

Also the switch to banshee as a music player is cool. It never worked for me before (I think it had issues with 64 bit), but it does now and it seems to be much more feature rich than rhythmbox.

Edit: I just came across a nice guide to the keyboard shortcuts for the unity launcher. http://bit.ly/e62e6F

From my experience in upgrading, both in macos and ubuntu, doing just an upgrade always seems a bit less “complete” (maybe that’s not the right word) than a fresh install. Anyone have experiences installing both ways?

I have 11.04 on my netbook and actually like unity so far. I do have another problem though. In old gnome I either build with scons or downloaded the offiial .tar file for linux. Now I would really like to have blender 2.57b show up in the application search (and this also means I can drag it to the side application bar).
Does anybody know how I can install blender 2.57b in ubuntu 11.04 so it shows up in the applications folder/menu? (repo add, what, which one?)

thelowlander, you can create a launcher in the desktop, a launcher in the upper bar (ubuntu clasic) and a entry in the applications app.
For first one go where you have the blender folder, right click on blender executable and “make link” and drag the link to the desktop and change the name. For the second I don’t remember just now if it is the first or the second (I am not in home at the moment and no linux to look) on the dialog to add apps to the panel, one of them lets you search for an executable on the hard disk and adds a launcher. For the last one you go to edit menus (right click on the Application menu and choose edit menus in ubuntu clasic, in unity it is where you shutdown the computer the last entry “system settings” and there search the edit menus app. Then you add a new entry where you want and choose the app in your hard disk. Ask if something I have not explained and I will do a step by step when back in home later.

Hey Bao2, thank you for the information, unfortunately that is not what I need, I do that already for chromium.
But thank you for the trouble.
If an application is installed through the repositories, you can find them through unity’s search function (which I find really useful, kind of like blender 2.5’s spacebar menu). But when I download it and run from the folder, it won’t find blender as an application. At least, not one that I can drag and “lock” to unity’s left side menu bar.
So is there a repository, or some way to get blender 2.57b through synaptic or apt-get?

thelowlander, not using unity right now, but this might work:

try right clicking on a blend file go to the “openwith” tab and add an application forget the list, just enable “use a custom command” and browse to whre you’ve installed blender 2.57b and select it.

That should set an association of blend files to 2.57… In gnome at least that means it shows up as an “installed” app… may well work for unity too.

@ Freakydude

Have you tried setting a link to blender in the classic mode and then switching to unity, might work. I can get blender to show up with the super key search, but i can’t get it to pin to the dock.

I added a ppa for blender (cheleb) and installed the svn version. For some reason, making a new link in the application menu made it come up in the search as well. I now have a blender folder in my home directory that is vanilla 2.57b, and an installed version that is 2.57 svn (and probably will get updates).
Both these links come up in unity’s search now, so I can add them to the menu.

Thanks for the information guys, sorry for hijacking the thread… back on-topic again?

thelowlander, I started in unity (previous backup with Acronis from Windows7 in case unity deletes my little launchers in the top bar that unity has not) and this is the procedure to add to the unity bar an “not installed application”:
You need to create a folder in your home directory or use one of the folders to place there a launcher to blender. So decide what folder in your home directory will have the launcher or create a folder (for example create a folder called “UnityLaunchers”)

Now in the desktop right click and choose Create Launcher. Browse and choose the blender executable, change too the icon clicking on the launcher icon and select the blender.svg (is in the same folder as the blender executable), and set the Name in the launcher to “Blender2.57” for example.
Now move the launcher from the desktop to the folder in your home directory simply dragging it. And now drag again from where it is now to unity bar. Done.

Well, I go back to Ubuntu Clasic, I don’t like Unity. How anyone can survive without the top little apps like the system monitor and such?

EDIT: Back in Ubuntu Clasic and all the little apps at the top show, so no necessity to recover from the backup this time. I like that there is no problem switching from Unity to Ubuntu Clasic!!!

ubuntu 10.10 . good system. only the good die young.