Ubuntu 7.10 and Blender from GraphicAll.org

I ran LiveCD with Ubuntu 7.10 and I have a Linux build of Blender on my USB drive (from ZanQdo). I see executable file, double click on it and nothing happens :frowning:
How do I run pre-compiled builds of Blender under Ubuntu ? Thank you.

run a terminal and type:

cd /media/name_of_usb_drive

then move to whatever folder has the blender executable in it, ex.:

cd blender_binary_dir/

then type:

./blender

then look at the output

If your computer has an nVidia video card, the proprietary drivers that give you OpenGL which is necessary for Blender are probably not loaded. You would have to install the special nVidia drivers, but I don’t think you can do that from a live CD boot. Try running it from a command line, and if you see something like “glx not found” then that’s what’s going on.

I know lots of people use Blender + Ubuntu though, so don’t give up.

Yeah, what he ^ said.

I too use Ubuntu 7.10 (64 bit version in my case) but both Linux distro are a breeze to use! If you have an Nvidia card and install 7.10 onto your harddisk - installing the Nvidia drivers is as easy as clicking two buttons. Just click - System / Administration / Proprietary Drivers manager

And Tick the hardware you have (eg. Nvidia)…after you’ve done - you can activate fancy OpenGL Menues like Compiz and your linux will kind of resemble Windows Aero :wink: and of course…you should be able to run Blender straight off…

I’ve been running dapper (6.10) 64bit and have the 7.10 disc sitting on my lap. How do you like the 7.10 64bit? I’ve also got the 32 bit version of 7.10 and was wondering if I should go that route. I had to install a bunch of 32 bit libs to use some of my third party apps. Is that the case with the new 64 bit release?

1. I love it! Gives me support for the chunky 8 GB ram I have in my Quad-Core Cpu box.

2. Ah, that COULD be a problem, but only if you make it a problem :slight_smile:
    Everything that worked out of the box in the 32 bit 7.10 worked out of the box in the
    64 bit 7.10. now…that said…here is the problems you MAY encounter:

There is no 64 Bit Flash for Linux yet…Adobe have however promised to release
one soon, I do believe they will. Until then we’ve got to use GNASH…which supports
64 bit flash just fine…not everything…but it handles YouTube videos etc…

If you install software via apt-get & Add software (native with 7.10) then there
is a GAZILLION programs available that will work straight-out-of-the box for
the 64 bit Ubuntu. Seriously! I’ve installed lots of 3D games too (such as the
free version of Quake 3 - Alien Arena etc.) works like charm.

I use a lot of music software too…such ZynaddsubFX Software synthesizer (excellent
stuff)…worked straight out of the box…

So far there haven’t been much software that didn’t work for me under Ubuntu 64 bit,
the only software I can remember that didnt work…was 32 bit flash from Adobe…
everything else has worked!

Another thing is… I have a habit of compiling whatever I want…(long time Linux user)
so …things that where meant for 32 bit…just seem to compile fine here in 64 bit
I really don’t have many issues…maybe they will come? Knock on wood…hope not :slight_smile:

First: Thanks for the heads up dreblen. He caught my senior moment - I’m using 6.4 64 bit dapper not 6.10. The LTS version has been really awesome in keeping the packages up to date. I’ve done several apt-get update/upgrade sessions with excellent results but I see that some of the latest and greatest are just not available for dapper these days.

JoOngle: Sounds really good. I’ve got a half a terrabyte of storage so I don’t think space is a problem.I’ll shove it onto one of the hard drives and give it a go.

I don’t use flash. I try to keep my use of proprietary stuff at a minimum and I have no problem with it. My html and css stuff doesn’t even use Java.

I use a lot of music software too…such ZynaddsubFX Software synthesizer (excellent stuff)…worked straight out of the box…
I’m presently engaged in a project that uses a lot of sound so that’s good news.

Another thing is… I have a habit of compiling whatever I want…(long time Linux user)
so …things that where meant for 32 bit…just seem to compile fine here in 64 bit
I really don’t have many issues…maybe they will come? Knock on wood…hope not :slight_smile:
Yeh, me too. I started with redhat 5.x around 1998 and haven’t looked back. I’m getting lazy since they are making it soooo easy now :yes: Still, I do image manipulation with ImageMagick cli and love it. The power of linux cli is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks for the comeback

There are software drivers called MESA too, I made a live CD with PC linux, and the MESA drivers… it could run blender on any system…

Was not the greatest FPS though :slight_smile:

I have ATI Radeon and I bet I don’t have OpenGL drivers when I run LiveCD. Could it be a reason why Blender will not start?

did you run it from a command line? and if so, what did it say?