Ubuntu and Blender

Hello Everyone,

I just installed Ubuntu, and used apt to find and install blender. The version that got installed was 2.44. What is the easiest way to upgrade to 2.45? I am fairly new to linux. I have been using windows xp, and have at least 4 different installs of Blender (earlier versions as well as 2 from graphicall).

Is it just as easy to have multiple versions installed on linux.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

Yup, it’s pretty much just as easy to have multiple versions going under linux.
The way I do it is to download a binary package as a tar or tar.gz then open it with ark and unzip it to /home/enhzflep/blender2.4.x_all_the_rest_of_the_suggested_name
it’s then just a matter of running the blender executable file to get it going. I’ve got 2.42, 2.44 and 2.45 all running under freespire, even though their repository only supplies 2.42

I had issues getting some of the builds from graphicall.org to run since freespire’s libraries are a little old, but in many cases it can be solved with some devious file-copying.
Often, I have a library called (from memory) alsalib1.0.so present in the /usr/lib directory or whatever it is, and the program will fail to start since alsalib1.0.so.0 is not found. In this case, I just copy /usr/lib/alsalib1.0.so --> /usr/lib/alsalib1.0.so.0 with the comand “sudo cp /usr/lib/alsalib1.0.so /usr/lib/alsalib1.0.so.0” and in many instances, this kind of a trick seems to work.
(cp is the copy command, & sudo is the command that gives you ‘administrator’ access to the file system, allowing you to copy a file to the normally write protected /usr/lib directory)

Hope this helps,
Simon.

enhzflep,

Well, that was easy enough. The only problem I have is that the menus don’t work in 2.45 (file…exit etc). They work ok in 2.44 though.

Yup, I do the same (except I’m running ubuntu studio, which is effectively the same).
Download the static version and run it from the directory. One issue you might encounter is the interaction between blender and compiz.
For more info, check out this thread.

Thanks for the replies,

As for my menu problem, I had “Add/Remove” running, and it was hung. Once I killed it, bot versions of Blender started working fine.

I have an old Dell pc that I am trying to upgrade to be a decent machine for linux and Blender. Right now, it has a 2.3 processor and 256 mb ram and nvidia card with 64mb. I have only 2 slots for ram. I am hoping to upgrade firs to 1gb ram, then newer video card. I’m not sure yet what my options are for the processor. I am trying to do things on the cheap, since I cannot afford a new pc at this time.

Thanks again!

Bump -

When I run Blender, I cannot get back to the desktop. I cannot minimize, and I have to render something to be able to get to the applications bar, or the bottom panel.

What am I missing?

EDIT - Got it, Ctrl Alt D to show the desktop

Another way for you to get it easily is to go to getdeb.com, and download the .deb package for Ubuntu, it integrates with your system slightly better that way. E.g. if you want, you can open Blender (window) and have Blender in a normal window.

Hello
keep in mind that one useful feature of all Linux window managers is “virtual desktops”
In kde for example, you can change your desktop window with Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 and so on.
Ubuntu uses Gnome by default, which don’t have shortcuts assigned I guess, but you can easily assign the keys you want to this function.
This way you can change your desktop window and “find” you bar ( and window selector?)
Gnome allows you, too, to grab your window even in full screen mode, just press Alt key and click/grab with left mouse button to displace the blender window and see the console in the background.
And the last (but not the least) you can start blender in “windowed mode” typing in a terminal:
/pathtoblender/blender -w (capital W to full screen)
Bye