Ubuntu Issues...

I am new to Linux, I recently installed Ubuntu Koala Karmik, or 9. something… so i do not know anything about it.
Anyway, i am tryin to install Blender, i got a CD from the book “The essential Blender, guide to 3D creation with the Open Source suite Blender”. The CD lets me choose from 4 options, the first 2 start like this:
blender-2.44-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64 (and then this is the difference betwen them)
.tar.bz2
-static.tar.bz2
The other 2:
blender-2.44-linux-glibc236-py25-x86_64 (and then this is the difference betwen them)
.tar.bz2
-static.tar.bz2

And since i am new to Linux, giving them a double click like a Windows *.exe file do not work, how do i open those files?
I want to start medeling as soon as pisible.
Thank you very much all of you.

Those are fairly old versions - 2.44. You can get 2.49a from the repository - System >> Administration >> Synaptic Package Manager. Type “Blender” in the search field at the top then click the box left of “Blender” and “Mark for installation”. When it’s done click apply and Blender will be loaded and youll find it in Applications >> Graphics.

You can get the newer 2.49b here, but since you’re just starting it won’t any difference.

%<

Welcome to the world of Linux where every installation is different. Those packages should contain text files that tell you how to install. Good luck reading 3+ pages just on how to install one small app.

Fortunately, the process for different applications is still generally the same basic thing in those text files. Regardless, Fligh already told him about Synaptic, so why troll about old conventions?

At the OP, just download the appropriate Linux version, based on your python version and whether your system is 32 or 64 bit, from blender.org and double click the purple Blender icon to run it. Very little reading needed :wink:

Sigh…

To find your Python version just type :
python
or
python --version
into a terminal window.

Welcome to the world of Linux where every installation is different. Those packages should contain text files that tell you how to install. Good luck reading 3+ pages just on how to install one small app.

Well that is a total lie. (obviously someone does not know the difference between a static package and source code)
To install any ubuntu application, all you need to do is go to add and remove programs, or better yet use synaptic package manager. (they call it “package manager” in ubuntu because it is shorter than typing synaptic, LOL).
If you know the package name just type :
sudo apt-get install blender

One other thing, if you run into people who are negative towards Ubuntu, it usually means that they installed it, couldn’t figure it out , uninstalled it, and now they go around acting like experts about something they actually know nothing about.

I take completely “green” people, and teach them GNU Linux basics in an afternoon. The biggest problem people seem to have, is that they expect it to be OSX or Windows… which as the name GNU Linux may imply, it is a completely different OS.

Some of the things you will encounter are a lot like windows, while other things are a a lot like OSX. But in the end, you have to step back, and learn GNU Linux, just like you had to learn how to use windows or OSX for the first time.

There is a first time newbie introduction on the Ubuntu live CD, and on the official Ubuntu forums. You should really go over it. They cover the Add and Remove thing, and if I am not mistaken they mention synaptic too.

Ubuntu forums are a nice “troll” free area to ask for Ubuntu Linux information. If you do not get a reply, it means that someone has already asked the question. Which means it is a good idea to do a forum search first.

I know about add/remove and synaptic. When using Ubuntu you can also use Ubuntu Tweak to install and uninstall apps. Using any of these three ways is easier to install things then in Windows. However, you do not get latest versions of software in most cases so you have to download manually.This is where confusion for me starts. Type this in, type that in, CD to directory where you put your files. bla bla bla. After 3 pages on how to install a program i have to give up. What a joke. In windows I open exe or pop a cd in and click yes or continue few times and then finish.

I take completely “green” people, and teach them GNU Linux basics in an afternoon.
i could use one of those…

@zanos
that’s how XP works, but not Vista. :no:
you need a machine gun to get all of the warnings and confirmations.

but i do agree, installing programs manually on linux is a bit complicated. :confused:

of course, in OSX, you just think “install blender” and it does it all for you. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

I know you’re just trolling as usual but…

How do you think those packages get created in the first place, Santa’s elves? Nobody everclaimed the “./configure && make && make install” process was supposed to be user friendly, ever.

If you really want to be hand fed and remain a lazy fscker then maybe you should look into something more ‘cutting edge’ than ubuntu, eh? You know, there are distros that target the newest as possible releases as a rolling target – gentoo is one. Of course you don’t benefit from a six month release schedule where they (try to) get everything playing nice together but if you want a free lunch then that’s about the best you can do.

I’d say either take some time out of your busy schedule and learn how things work or quit with the whining because There’s No Such Thing As A Free Lunch™…