Ubuntu Upgrade

Hello Everyone,

I have posted this before, but now I am getting ready to pull the trigger. I am currently running Ubuntu 7.1, and I am considering upgrading first to 8.04, then 8.1.

I use Blender, GIMP and Indigo renderer mostly, but I also use Wine for windows compatible apps - in particular:

MAP Zone 2.5
Bricks & Tiles
Poser - DAZ - and MakeHuman
Terragen
Plant Studio
UT GOTY Edition

I have had to do a tremendous amount of tweaking, searching and swearing to get many of the apps to work correctly in Wine, and I would like to take all precautions when upgrading.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, warning or any advice whatsoever that will help?
Do I need anything special like Prozac - different kind of Wine (bottled)?

Seriously though any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

No problems here with Blender, Gimp and Indigo on Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit - except the ffmpeg video texture thing not building yet.
I have Gimp 2.6 from getdeb, and I find every time I upgrade Gimp I lose some plug-in or other, but otherwise no big deal.

One thing to note is that I had to install libwxgtk2.8 (I had 2.6) to run Indigo
Otherwise all is well.

I don’t use Wine much(Plant Studio), so I can’t help you there - but I would say go for it (after checking, of course), and it is good that you are approaching this sensibly and finding out before jumping.

UT GOTY Edition has a native linux installer. look on the DVD or CD’s for either a folder names Linux, or a folder named Loki. There migt be an updated linux installer on the epic games site.

What version of wine are you using?

stuff that used to take lots of hacks and workarounds increasingly just works…

I use the latest wine (from the winehq repo rather than the ubuntu one) on 8.04 to run artrage, silo 2.11 (installed visualc redistributable to get that to work,same as you would on windows) and I’m trialing z-brush3 which “just worked” after install…

I have a copy of messiah studio that runs in demo mode, lightwave runs in demo mode… having said that I haven’t tried the dongle as I use blender now…
the only app I’ve had a problem with was corel painter essentials, but I prefer artrage anyway…

'I’d just go for it, but if you’re worried add the repo for wine from wine hq on your current distro, get the latest version of wine, back up your ~/.wine folder and delete or re-name it and try re-installing your apps and running them. If you don’t like it go back to your old version of wine and restore the old .wine folder.

Something which I think I would recommend (having done it last night) is to separate your “/” partition from your “/home” partition, allowing you do a clean install but keeping your files (and settings folder such as .wine) safe.

Thanks for the responses everyone - backing up now - will let you know.

OK, I’ve upgraded to 8.04 and nothing about Wine is working. Not even Configure Wine

>>>>Installed the latest Wine 1.01 - same thing - cannot configure wine or run any programs
re-booted - same

I might as well go to Ubuntu 8.1 rather than solving this twice - once for each upgrade

Hi,

You may already be doing this, but have you tried using the latest version of Wine from their own repositories?

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Well, as edited into my last post, installing the latest version did not help. So after much searching, I found some info to help me completely remove (after selecting completely remove in synaptic package manager), I was able to actually get the latest version of Wine and have the decency to actually show up in the menu. Now it works somewhat, I backed up the wine windows directories, and replaced the directories created during the new install. Now I am left with either re-creating shortcuts to the programs, or re-installing them.

This has been a bit of a nightmare with respect to wine - I don’t think it should take this much effort to completely uninstall it.

On another note - When preparing to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.1, I got a warning about there being no Nvidia driver for my graphics card that will work with 8.1. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Forget about 8.1? Can I get the latest version of GIMP (2.6X) to work on 8.04?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all of the responses thus far.

I just upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04 (64bit)…mainly the usual upgrade problems, network suddenly not working due to some missing line in a config file (what would i don without a second computer to google the solution??), wine (1.1 from winehq repo) has sound problems with ALSA (known problem apparently, had to set it to OSS for now, but the same version worked with 8.04), and as last time, it installed a newer nVidia driver which for whatever reason runs like crap with my GeForce 7600GT, so i downgraded to ancient 96 version again…which luckily this time did not result in inconsistent config new kernel driver (but xorg even learned to offer you a low-graphics modus instead to throw you back on console)

After all that, it pretty much works as before.

I don’t know about the graphics drivers - you could try EnvyNG or nvidia, but I do know Gimp 2.6 is available from getdeb.net for 8.04

OK - I got gimp installed and running - However, I was under the impression that this version of GIMP would allow me to keep everything in a single window. Am I missing something? I have been all thru the preferences, and cannot find a way to get all 3 windows combined.

I don’t use it myself, but I believe it is Edit => Preferences => Window Manager Hints => Utility Window then setup the windows the way you like, Save Window Positions Now, and restart Gimp.

You can’t combine the windows (I’m guessing you mean have them “dock” at the side like krita or inkscape?

You CAN set them to be “above” the painting windows as organic says, though the hints should default to “utility” with 2.6 anyway.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I had the pain upgrading to 8.04, but not as much as you, 8.10 was a breeze for me, easiest upgrade yet!

I haven’t had any issues with the repository nvidia driver, is yours a really old card?

Michael W,

I’ll check the specs tonight & get back to you - it has been a while, so I’ll need to refresh my memory.

Thanks!

Michael W,

According to lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)

I’ll have to do some searching on Ubuntu forums to see if there are any workarounds. Oh well, if I can’t upgrade to 8.1, I’m not to worried - maybe SC will bring some hardware upgrades for Christmas.

Thanks again to all!

Apparently there are issues with older nvidia cards and 8.10. I can’t remember specifics, but this could be your issue.

from therelease notes

nVidia “legacy” video support

The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by the nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, are not compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver instead. This driver does not support 3D acceleration.
Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177 driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g. Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade.

You could use the NV drivers, but they’re usually not as good… No 3d acceleration!

OK Santa - make it a new system!

On the subject of upgrading to 8.10, how has it gone for people? It seemed great for me at first, but my mouse settings (no-tapping) don’t save, and a few times after boot up / awake from sleep the computer is essentially unusable after I log in - I can’t use keyboard commands, and there is no response to mouse clicks. Also, waking up from hibernation has taken longer than just booting up normally! Is anybody else experiencing these same issues?

Dell Inspiron 6000
1.5 ghz centrino (single core)
1.25 gb ram
integrated intel video card (but no desktop effects)