UDIM Support (officially) in 2.82 by Lukas Stockner; Development thread

OK.
First, you already have files respecting UDIM convention.
You just have to open an image and there is an option enabled by default in file browser to detect UDIMs.
1_Open_UDIM

Second, you want to create images from scratch.
Use button or shortcut to create a new image name it with suffix _1001 to respect convention.
2_image_creation_UDIM

It will be a generated image. So, you have to save it.
Asterisk next to image menu means that image is not saved.
3_Save_As_UDIM

Now, that image is saved, you can change its source type to Tiled. This choice is not available when original type of image is generated.
4_Source_Tiled_UDIM

When source is set to Tiled a new Tiles panel appears in properties of Image Editor.
It displays info about default tile corresponding to first image created.
To create a new tile that will host a second image ; you have to click, next to first image, while pressing Alt key, in background of Image Editor.
At the moment, a new tile area is selected, Tiles panel change. Now, there is just one Add Tile button that can be used.
5_New_tile_UDIM

When button is pressed, an orange square appears next to first image square.
Eventually, you just have to press Fill Tile button to create a second image that will be shown inside orange square.

Second Image can have another resolution. It will be shown in a square of same area.

Now, when you save Tiled Image : all images contained in its tiles are saved simultaneously.

You are ready to play with branch.

6 Likes

Thank you :smile:

I played a bit with the branch, i feel lost painting in Blender 2.8, those changes will kill us LOL.
@lukasstockner97 it seems like the undo/redo system is so messy, when working with uv image editor (paint mode) and 3d view port texture paint mode, please test it. I don’t know if it is only your branch or the Blender 2.8 painting system that has a messy undo/redo system.

Directly creating tiled images works now: https://developer.blender.org/rBccbfdd05d78e9cfd0d4464a939432dad086f4261

5 Likes

Yes, I can confirm that problem also exists in 2.8 branch.

Undo/redo system is unpredictable if you undo several brush strokes.
When you attempt redo after that, all actions that had be undone may be redone, or just some or not in the same order.
It looks like mixed with global undo. It is also possible to remove texture from material while your are in paint mode.

I also tested smear brush.
It is great to have it working between tiles in 3D view.
It does not work in Image Editor. But I think it does not matter.
What is important is blending between UVseams and not UDIM Tiles.
So, it would be interesting only if you stick an Island border to tile border with adjacent UV Island in adjacent UDIM tile.

That is great.
It helped me to realize that is important to have Tiled Texture display in edit mode for UV Unwrapping.

We can not create Tiles until a Tiled Image is created.
It means that UV Islands dispatching is done with UDIM tiles created.

So, even without final texture but just with UVGrids, it is important to have tiled texture display while UV unwrapping.
Currently it does not work. Only first tile is used for the whole mesh in edit mode.
Maybe, from UI point of view, it would be more pertinent to have tiles system creation per UVmap rather than per Image.

@lukasstockner97 Thanks, this is great. I’ve been waiting for this. SO is this a part of 2.8 experimental build that you can download from blender.org and test?

I’ve downloaded the latest one but can’t seem to find any UDIM related options in the UI nor in what @zeauro described with images. I don’t see “Detect UDIMs”, I don’t see “Tiled” etc…

Any help appreciated, thanks!

No, it is not in a build downloadable from blender.org.
It is a branch separated from main 2.8 branch.

You can download its sources and compile it for your OS as explained on the wiki.
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender

Or you can test a build made by Lukas and downloadable from graphicall.org

@zeauro Thanks, I tested it. Quickly did layout in Maya, then Textured in Substance Painter with UDIM checked, then imported into blender. It actually worked well, shows all the textures in the viewport. However when I tried to render things started to get pink, but I guess it’s just not properly finished yet… Well, looking forward to it!

any news on this project ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No new commit since end of July.
I suppose Lukas is waiting for some progress in basic UV Editing.
For example, Live Unwrap is not working when changes are done in 3DView.
Multi-object UVediting may freeze Blender.

1 Like

Is there any updates? I realy need to work with UDIM tiles? I can’t wait anymore :frowning:

1 Like

Noticed this thread had lots of traction and just kind of died. Are we still looking forward to full UDIM support in 2.8? The official Blender website doesn’t list it as a feature, and I figure this would be a pivotal new feature to advertise. Has this died off? Was looking at purchasing Substance Designer, but will hold off if the features I am looking for will be in the next Blender iteration. Any release dates pending? Thanks. :slight_smile:

I think the patch is ready for review, but it won’t be in Blender 2.80, probably in 2.81 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was expecting an improvement of UV Edit mode tools, too.

For the moment, what happened in that area was just an adaptation to 2.8 UI and multi-editing concept.
But in terms of amount of UV edit tools and options present by default, 2.8 is as poor as 2.79.

2.80 will probably have addons to extend them. And there was the SLIM unwrapping algorithm attempt. It did not made it, too.
So, it would be more coherent to have 3 targets of more UVedit tools, SLIM unwrapping and UDIM grouped under a future UV workflow release.

5 Likes

I’m really sad that the development of this has slowed down, even though it’s probably just for technical reasons. Any chance for an update from Lukas? UDIM support is such a hugely important feature to make blender production-ready, it’s crazy that it hasn’t come in earlier releases.

1 Like

Lukas Stockner has been working on other todo items like Denoiser improvements and Cryptomatte.

Cryptomatte is complete and in 2.8 right now, the animation Denoising meanwhile is seeing good progress. I’m sure he’ll get around to UDIM again, especially if the BF was able to get enough dev. fund revenue to possibly hire him.

There’s not much for me to do right now, it’s been waiting for review since July.

8 Likes

Almost moving at the speed of bureaucracy!

1 Like

Part of it might be due to the core team being tied up in 2.8 development, but I do think trusted developers like Lukas Stockner should be treated to a faster and less strict version of the review process (because you know they’ll be around to fix things as they come up).

The BF has been doing better in patch review over the last couple of years, but instances such as this reminds us there’s a bit more room for progress.

I know they’ve gotten better, it’s just some good nature ribbing on my part. I can’t help but feel that a dedicated couple of hours a week for patch review from the paid team would do wonders in clearing out the backlog though.

1 Like