UE5 too good to be true in my opinion

It look impressive to have millions of faces to static mesh asset but there must be a cost to it like memory and hard disk space to store those high resolution assets.

If the gaming community need a 1000$ video card and a 3 tb hard drive just to play game i think we will lose 60% of potential customers.

I don’t think we can drop the tedious retopo workflow yet in my opinion so what’s your thought on it?

Just go to the official Unreal forums. The complaining is beyond anything you have ever seen anywhere in the Blenderverse.
So at least it appears that in the eyes of a lot it seems too bad to be true.

in-b4 2 years form now most mainstream gamers have 4 to 8tb SSD’s and 8 to 16gb GPUs…and UE5 finally comes out of beta.

When they said in the demo something like (with so much pride in their voice): and this statue with 3.000.000 polygons is directly imported from (whatever) and 3 seconds later you almost couldn’t see the backside of the statue anymore (because it was dark) i was :rofl: :crazy_face: and thousends will buy two of the new 1500$ graphics cards (and a new power supply ) just to see that. … and what can you do with it? other than looking at it… Oh yes next time you can fire 1 millon rounds of ammo on it and have a look at it how it disintegrates… But then you need the next gen gen graca (compu card/ no video out) with super rela time physics… okay, i overdraw … a liitle

1 Like

So, why do you think they put all these shiny features into the engine if nearly nobody can run it right now?

I guess the answering word is ‘seduction’…

customer seduction for market parts. udk is an amazing engine but unity is still and always before.

Just like blender team, udk team did not understand that users number growth don’t come from useless ( but wonderfull ) features, but with a solid and exhaustive doc.

Every tool should respect this basic rule.

No doubt those amazing features present in UDK are the proof of devs competence.
Even if useless, they are a nice showcase and appeal to ‘easy’ customers.

as an example, in 2015, ubi-soft released a game called assassin’s creed unity.
As a dumb customer i rushed in shop and bought it as it was absolutely stunning.
Today, 6 years later, i’m still unable to make it run on my machines.
ubi soft hit their target: seduce people to make them buy the game ( even if it’s unusable ).

UDK is a very good game engine lacking of doc and i won’t be seduced by amazing features that almost bobody can run in-fine…

So i wait for other people to release gazillion triangles apps that can run on ‘common’ machines :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t that more of a Ubi-Soft problem?
I mean, I can make a file in Blender that won’t render decently on year 2028 hardware but that doesn’t bean that Blender is bad.

Anyway, I think that part of these shiny features are marketing indeed, but besides that they are also there to make the engine future proof and providing features now that might only be useful for a broad consumer base in a couple of years. That is how long a lot of games require to make, after all.

A triple-A game takes several years to develop. At the time of release, the required GPU power might be common place. It sounds to me like they’re betting on getting those studios on board now.

Then again, as you pointed out, that might not always work out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the cost of storage space isn’t going to be the thing that kills PC gaming but the price of GPUs will. Even if you ignore the mining boom, the prices are insane compared to consoles.

1 Like

Oh, I fully agree.
I just want to know, why other people perceive it as strange that a game engine would implement features that will/might only be useful in the future. Useful for the end user that is.

For developers they are useful even now, because they can get accustomed to them and learn how to use them in future releases.

1 Like

There are a lot of implications for Unreal 5 which also continues with things added in 4.25 and 4.26.

And also it is important to remember that many of these features are targeted at use for film and VFX which can be used right away even if games take a while to catch up.

2 Likes

Yes, I think this whole VFX market is going to gain a lot in coming years. I mean, it allready has and I don’t think it will stop.
You can do a lot of Film stuff with real time engines which are simply not possible with an offline renderer.

2 Likes

I LIKE THIS TOPIC, nice!

Imma drop this video here… Right now. Focus on what he says pay attention and take note he does bring up a valid point of how far any other Engine is compared to what Epic Games has done here.

I would advise you listen to his detailed criticism on how the Engine is

Regarding Blender 2.90+ or Blender 3.0 i would say that well there’s still alot EEVEE needs implementations and also new techniques and new methods of doing things for better performance but also improving overall quality.

Cycles Render Engine is completely different, it was built that way it wouldn’t handle Realtime.

Fred/K.S

Fred/K.S

Nah, it works as advertised.

You can run it on a 1080~2060 with <12gb of ram. It requires far less space on disk that previous methods. There are issues, but none that you are worrying about.

As another user pointed out, UE5’s feature set seems to focus more on VFX and Film-making, and companies like Unity and Epic are trying to expand their reach in the VFX industry using realtime renderers.

So even if games take a while to catch up with UE5, film makers will benefit a great deal with all the features UE5 boasts of - Nanite makes retopo and normal baking unnecessary, and Lumen’s GI, although having some screen-space artefacts in real-time applications, is great for rendered videos.
I’m excited to see where it goes.

1 Like

Unity is what?

When you look at the big picture though, Unity and Epic don’t even call their products “game engines” anymore, they are now known as “realtime platforms”. The result of this is that there has been many indie developers who feel like they have been shafted by the companies (because for starters there is so much more money to be made in visualizations, simulation/robotics, and film), as a result features specifically to make game development easier and more powerful have often been de-emphasized.

Now chances are Epic is far more likely to keep indie game studios in mind than Unity, simply because they have Fortnite as well as the backing of Sony (which has game studios). If you want to use a product that is just a game engine now (because you want game-centric development or you plan to just use Blender for realtime rendering), you have to go to Godot, Xenko, or other solutions that aren’t considered AAA heavyweights.