UFO: My first render

I joined Blenderartists about a year ago, and since then my use of Blender has been pretty off-and-on. But in the last few weeks, I have been working on my first successful render: this UFO. I spent a lot of time modeling it(particularly the hull plating), and I am pleased with the result, although I wish to make it more realistic. The texture I used for the plating is very flat, for one. The tractor beam is too uniform. The asteroids don’t like very good. I know that is quite vague, but I really just want some advice on how I could improve this. Thanks!

Attachments

Cool model! One thing I’d say is it doesn’t have that really shiny UFO texture that is so common in pop culture, if thats what you are going for I’d reccomend looking at Blender Guru’s tutorial on PhotoRealistic metals, or if you don’t have the patience for the tutorial just increase the reflectivity and make the color brighter :P. That should help a lot in making it look a little more like the iconic UFOs. I can share my metal materials with you, if you want.

I don’t know why, but noobs aren’t given much attention around here…

Having picked the standard UFO style of the 50s and 60s, this looks very much like a typical comic book illustration from back then, with the limited colors and line work.

You could try adding more detail to your UFO. It’s rather plain and simple, and that’s probably only because you aren’t familiar with Blender’s many modelling tools.

Also try making the asteroids less similar in shape.

What do you want to say with your image? Is this a UFO with good or bad intentions? Is it a warship or is it mining the asteroids for minerals? I cant realy tell from this image. Another thing, isnt space mostly black and not grey? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your feedback. I would love to learn about more realistic metals, if you can point me in the right direction.

For more realistic metals, take a look at this tutorial. http://imgur.com/a/Uc2yp#0 This one helped me a lot with creating nice metals.

Again, thank everyone for their feedback. You are very helpful, and I have tried to incorporate your ideas into my new renders:
As you can see, I did a lot of work on the hull material. I used an image texture I made in Paint.net with a bump map to achieve this, and I am quite happy with how it turned out. There are still some areas that need the texture applied to them, but I am getting there, I think.
I also remodelled the asteroids; I am not sure if they have improved much, though.

Attachments