Ugly, ugly bezier->mesh!

OK. I’m modelling this phone here. I made a nice, clean shape of bezier curves. Now I also need to put in some edges and steps, so I converted it to a mesh. As expected, it turns into a mess…

Now I’m not good with Blender yet - is there a way to do this without getting a huge mess? Is it possible to delete vertices (it created some weir ones in places…) without destroying the surface? Or better: is it possible to model the bezier object from the side somehow? Join two bezier objects instead of extruding one? Add anchor points? This is really hard… whince

Am I on the rright track but don’t have another choice? Please kick my butt into the right direction :smiley:

Attachments

It depends also on the defres that you aloowed in f9

IT DEPENDS ALSO ON THE DEFRES THAT YOU ALLOWED IN F9
the higher the more verticies you get in the mesh!

so may be you should reduce it to a minimum

now you may ahve to relocate some verticies but this is a minimum of work and fast

it should gie a clean mesh and be nice

unless you set some undesired bevel or extruded it before !

can you upload a file you we can look at it ?

Thanks

Hey Ricky!
Thanks a lot for the quick and in-depht reply! Unfortunately I’m on the road now, but may I get back to you again later on? This thing is really important to me, and I wanna get it as perfect as possible! So I’ll upload the pure curve object is a few hours, ok?

OK then, there it is, Ricky :slight_smile:
I’m really curious how to do this properly! On a 60$ DVD tutorial there’s talk about cleaning up the mesh after convertig the curve, but not how, what or where and so on.

Thanks!

Attachments

phone_before_ugly_mesh.blend (145 KB)

Actually, if you convert it to a mesh eventually, why not model it entirely without curves :wink:
I admit, I’m an old poly-subsurf-modeler and hardly ever use curves. Mostly only for deforming objects.

Ricky told you a way to reduce the vertex count when converting to a mesh and I doubt that there’s some better method than that. Manual work will probably still be necessary, but you can get rid of some vertices easily without altering the shape of the object. But then I doubt that the overall process is a lot faster than just poly-modeling it… :wink: and if the results are as clean…

Hmmmmm, I thought about that before… that’s what you get for cracking on Illustrator all the time. You start loving those CURVES (and end up modelling females and stuff :p)
I just don’t feel having that much control and precision with polies, but I’ll try!

as Ricky said, your DefResolU was 17. try 100. A render before and after looks identical.

ok i’m late a little sorry

what is your goals here ?

do you want high precision mesh as a results ?

i think it look nice like it is even after doing the convert to mesh

what are the problem you see with the mesh ?

then we might suggest thing to do about it !

Salutations

@PapaSmurf: Uh oh, somethingh happens to the filling here??? And now I can see these weird “cavities” that are being added at the larger of the 2 holes in the bottom after I convert to mesh. Looks like they already ARE there but I didn’t create them???
:slight_smile:
@Ricky: no stress, I was sleeping already anyway!
I’m aiming for a high precision model. Now I have to go in from the side and “bulge” out the lower part from under the screen. I would do that with an edgeloop and subsurf, trying to separate the top “flat” from the rest.

See, the point is, I don’t REALLY have a clue how to best start this. The model is complicated. Shell within shell, top part is a slider, then 2 rear parts and so on. I’m posting the reference now. I don’t know if this was a good idea to start with at my level, but that’s how we learn, right? :wink: Or get frustrated and don’t. lol

Attachments

IMO modeling 3D objects in Blender is best done with polys. This kind of product modeling is ideally best done with NURBS, but Blender’s NURBS functionality isn’t up to scratch (hopefully that will change soon).

The problem with extruded curves is that at some point you’re going to need to do some editing on the extruded axis, but since converting it to a mesh inevitably gives you topology from hell, you won’t be able to do this easily or well.

So, if I were you I’d suck it up and get comfy with mesh modeling.

that’s what you get for cracking on Illustrator all the time

Probably doesn’t really bear mentioning, but Illustrator is a 2D drawing program. You’re in another dimension now, son.

See, the point is, I don’t REALLY have a clue how to best start this.

Check this out for some ideas:

OK then, I’ve learned about NURBS in my DVDs, but I also heard/read they’re outdated and not very much in use anymore because of bezier curves - might have been BS, who knows. I just learned how to create and bend NURBS, bu not how to integrate them in a mesh model.
My main fear of doing that with polies is doing the holes, I guess that’ll require tons of edgeloops?

Thanks a lot, anyway, for the Blender Magazine advice - I already had it but not printed yet.

I know very well what the difference between 2d and 3d is :wink: I just thought it might be able to insert a point into the curve at axis view and then bend it. But then the rear would bend, too, and so I’ll just stfu and get to do it with polies. Darn. A dream world crushed :smiley:

But still I wanna see what Ricky comes up with. Maybe there’s some way to evade the inevitable… NOT. I’m not too lazy or uninterested in the polies, I just thought this was the best way to do this clean. That’s what happens when you don’t know much about how Blender actually works. I thought that could be like putting together a box - make the frame, slap on top&bottom and add the rest :stuck_out_tongue: OK. I’ll do this now.

@bugman: you look like you got Cpt.Blender straight (looking at you signature makes me not wanna ask!!) - maybe you can take a look at my problem with the texture??? :o

Yes, that is a very complicated thing to start your modeling in Blender with, as it is a very complicated thing to make in real life! In modeling something like that, it might also be best to think about how it is manufactured for real, and what its components are. That phone did start out as a sheet of (aluminum). You can always make it from compound parts as well, the shell as one object, a bump or button as another object. As they overlap, they will look like they are made of the same stuff. Instead of trying to manually model the holes, just use the boolean modifier. That modifier closely “resembles” a drill bit cutting a hole in the case.

OK Papasmurf, I trust you on that, though I got so much advice against using booleans because they create bad mesh I really can’t make heads or tails out of it anymore lol I’ll just try it out.
Actually I don’t worry about putting the parts together, I’m sure I can model that, but mainly the side shape worries me with that step where the main buttons begin. Some closely drawn edgeloops should do the job though.

I’ll get cracking and come back whimpering later :slight_smile:

ok but in term of render you want smething nice super high res

of looking good

i mean it make s a lot of difference

but if you’r going with thigh res that’s gone take lot’s of work with lots of verticies
amd you canoot exacpe the work here

now i did one just for the fun of it and using subsurf to help
this is us9ng a minimum of verticies so also minimum of work

and it gives a nice results
tell me what you think of it

see pic
second pic is render on white background

Salutations

That looks good…
Now do I get what you’re telling me: if I wanna go highres, I’ll have to do it with lots of vertices - necessarily?

My experience is very limited. I thought I was just going to model a flat block, do some Edge loops, delete some faces, create the missing ones in between, apply subsurf, limit subsurfing with tight loops and pull it in shape? Do I do this with NURBs now or with the subsurf cage?

I’ll post a mesh here later on :slight_smile:

I thought I was just going to model a flat block, do some Edge loops, delete some faces, create the missing ones in between, apply subsurf, limit subsurfing with tight loops and pull it in shape?

Sounds about right to me.

OK, so maybe I’m on the right path now :slight_smile: With a big extra kick of motivation!!