[UI Concept] What do you think about this?

I sketched this. I want to know what you think about have the properties section as horizontal with using tabs. Check the screenshots and PLEASE comment.

One link to a 4th image muahahahah https://k61.kn3.net/C/C/7/6/F/B/B29.jpg
I hope you like :slight_smile: and sorry if i wrote bad something.

Oh yes! I’m Argentinian so i use Blender in spanish xD

What do you see as the benefits that made you want to do this ?

What if I want to view a number of the properties panels while I’m modelling. This would take up a lot of the 3d viewport. Why do you believe this is an improvement ?

How would this work with multiple monitors ? If I want to put the properties panel on a second monitor

Your properties panel has a scrollbar. Does this mean there are more things hidden to the side. My mouse wheel scrolls vertically so easier to scroll up/down to show hidden data rather than scrolling from side to side.

Most monitors nowadays are wide screen, wouldn’t the best useage of space to maximise the viewport favour vertical panels rather than squashing the viewport from the top

Something horizontal? Why not, yes. But generally we should let the user decide and developer to enable it. I mean, just like in mobile ui and in many modern ui, there is a separate layout for landscape and portrait view.

-i want to recoger screen space, this taba bar uses less space
-the idea is put all the related properties together, this isn’t a final design obviously.
-I wasn’t thinking on multiple monitors.
-i forgot to erase that.

• no, because the horizontal writing make GUI elements require more space if they are in a column. Moreover, almost all GUI sections of blender are columns, with this we can activate all and the viewport will not have a vertical form.

I will think on that.

Why would I want the properties hiding the most important part of the interface, the viewport.
Currently I have the option to have both viewport and the properties I chose visible at the same time without them both fighting for the same screenspace. For example I can have both the material and texture settings both visible at the same time without them covering the viewport.

• no, because the horizontal writing make GUI elements require more space if they are in a column. Moreover, almost all GUI sections of blender are columns, with this we can activate all and the viewport will not have a vertical form.
    Your horizontal bar has a blank space on the right hand side wasting approximately 25% of the space you’ve given to the panel

I forgot something, properties are not like tools, we must see them while we work.

About the blank space, is just a basic sketch, my idea was conserve the aspect ratio of the visible viewport, specially if both panels of the viewport are activated. I have a 1600x900 screen on the desktop pc and a 1366x768 in the notebook, when i activate all i got space for A4 vertical paper.

I will try another thing now.