Blender’s UI for setting video output parameters has always bugged me. The menu items are badly organized, the presets are not helpful, and it’s way too easy to export an unplayable video file. Here’s the exisitng interface:
The main improvements here:
- Division of Image, Video, and Frameserver output into distinct sections
- Better, Customizable export presets
- Containers are called containers, and they go in the container menu where they belong
- Incompatible codecs should be greyed out
- Option for constant-quality compression
- Separation and improved layout of audio compression parameters
For more details, please read my wiki proposal here:
Note: The wiki proposal evolves beyond my control. My polemic in the original draft has been neutered by other editors, but I am nothing if not dogmatic about the open-source process, so maybe it’s all for the best.
I am now ready for all questions/comments/criticism! I’m also hoping to catch the attention of a few contributors that can make this proposal a reality. Would these be welcome changes? Please let me know what you think.