Un-Wrapping Question

Could someone please take a second for this…it’d be really appreciated:

a) is it common to need to move a lot of vertices around in the UVeditor, after unwrapping something? Basically restructure the whole thing in the UVeditor, so that the edges are straight, vertices evened out…etc?

b) is there a faster/better way to do this? - i’m not generally having much success getting UVmaps to look like the perfect ones in the tutorials.

c) will the vertices still align to the mesh after moving them around in this way? is that what ‘pinning’ is?

Sorry to even ask this, but I can’t find a very clear tutorial for organic-type meshes. Thank you !

To a certain extent, yes, no matter how well you place your seams, there will always be some moving of vertices and lines to make your UV map easier to paint.

b) is there a faster/better way to do this? - i’m not generally having much success getting UVmaps to look like the perfect ones in the tutorials.
Faster takes practice, and even then there will always be models that just take longer to get the right result. This is assuming you are using the latest tools for UV mapping (seams, pinning etc.)

c) will the vertices still align to the mesh after moving them around in this way? is that what ‘pinning’ is?

Yes the vertices will still line up. The point of UV mapping is to make an easy to paint map that minimizes the appearance of seams when reapplied. Pinning is a way to make it easier to move and adjust your vertices.

Thanks, Dreamsgate :slight_smile: