unable to render windows has recovered from a device failure

I have a very simple animation and am trying to render it with blender internal engine on NTSC with a quicktime file type with a DV-NTSC codec. Raytracing enabled and after about 5 frames completely rendered it freezes and then windows pops up and says "Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality. " but after I restart the same thing happens. I have rendered animations before and they have worked fine. I have also tried rendering on different versions of Blender and the same happens. I am running a AMD 1.3 ghz duron, 512 megs pc133, 2-80g harddrives, windows xp sp1, nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 w/ 32megs of ram. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you in advance.

try rendering to a sequence of frames [tga or png], or even raw avi, then convert to your desired format [ntsc,dv] using quicktime pro, or another [perhaps free?] app

maybe some quicktime issue. did you try the latest version? either way windows and quicktime aren’t the best friends. try rendering TGA sequences and then encoding your work in VirtualDub. or switch to a mac :slight_smile: