Unable to use old blend files in version 2.71

I have several projects created in version 2.69.

When I attempt to open them in version 2.71 which I recently downloaded, the objects are either partially missing or completely missing. For instance, I open a file that has a human rigged character in it, but only the head and torso are visible. The limbs are not there, nor is any of the clothing or other objects in the scene. I also tried just appending them and get the same results.

I have never used any other version of blender before so I’m wondering if there is some trick to opening older blend files in newer versions of Blender. Or if that’s even possible to do.

Difficult to help without you supplying access to example blend files.

If these include scripts ensure you have enabled ‘Auto Run Python Scripts’ in User Preferences / File

I have never used any other version of blender before so I’m wondering if there is some trick to opening older blend files in newer versions of Blender. Or if that’s even possible to do.
Blend files made in blender 2.69 should be 100% compatible with blender 2.71

I would suggest to report that one as a bug report. Blender should be backwards compatible.

As a workaround, have you tried to append from your old 2.69 scene in a new created 2.71 scene? You could also have a look to delete one object after another in your old scene to find the trouble maker. Keep a backup though.

That was it! Thanks so much. I hadn’t yet set up all my Preferences before opening the project. facepalm rookie mistake :o