Unable to view image on an empty object in Blender 2.8 Modeling workspace

Hi,
I have just started a new project which requires using image references. I understand in Blender 2.8, you can only use an empty image plane to add an image reference to the scene. I can see the image planes in Layout workspace, but I am unable to view them while in the Modeling workspace. Furthermore, after looking in the WIP 2.8 manual, it states that the Modeling workspace is for when you are modeling, and the Layout workspace is for looking at the entire scene. Is this true, that you cannot use empty images in the Modeling workspace? I cannot see why you could not do so, considering that people use image references while they are modeling there object. Is there a workaround for this?

No, it is not true. You should see Image references in Modeling workspace.
Maybe you tweaked Display Orthographic or Display perspective in Empty properties and as a consequence different views in different workspaces may display or not empty.
Maybe you disabled general empties visability in your modeling workspace.
Maybe you switch one workspace’s viewport to local view.

But if you did not do anything special, you should see Image references under Modeling workspace like under Layout Workspace.

zeauro,
Yes, thank you so much. I found out that you can use “/” to toggle between regular view and local view, and I must of hit that key by accident.