Under The Lilies

(Spacerobot5) #1

Hi Guys, I saw an amazing watercolor on Artstation and I wanted to try to recreate it in Blender. I want this image to look cartoony and almost like a painting, but still like a 3D model.
Give me all your thoughts!

Original art by Vanessa Palmer

First Update:

I created a filter in blenders compositor which added a more watercolor look to the image and changed some materials and the lighting to give more power to the image.
Let me know what you guys think!

Second Update

I used photoshop to add some outlines and reduce the amount of blur I had previously created. I think the image is looking pretty good! let me know what you guys think!!!

Third Update

I added a higher definition to the face and a few extra touches to some of the colors.

Final Update

I have decided that this will be the last update for this project. Thank you for all the helpful input @ost.nik ! I would still love to hear your opinion on this final render!

4 Likes

If I understand correctly, this is not the end result?
Turns out very cool! I also saw the original - a wonderful work!
I don’t have enough experience to give advice, but I remeber that I see the comic-shader for evee:

Maybe it will help indirectly.
Good luck!
And I hope to see the final result! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
(Spacerobot5) #3

No this is not the end result, and this looks like it could be some great help!
I’ll check it out and maybe have an update if it turns out!

1 Like

Glad to know! :blush:
Waiting for update! :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like
(Spacerobot5) #5

I got you that update! how do you like it? :smiley:

1 Like

Hi! :slightly_smiling_face:
In my opinion-the second render has lost some details and I think it is over-saturated.
I try to understand original image and I see, that the contour lines is black and it’s look like details is made with this thin black lines, but the shapes made by watercolor segments with not very sharp edges.
It’s like two layers - first with the colour and second with contours.
I don’t know how to get this effect in Blender. :pensive:

(Spacerobot5) #7

That makes perfect sense! thank you so much!:smile:
I completely agree with your assessment about the loss of detail, I just didn’t know how to make it look like watercolor and detailed. I believe blender has a few nodes that work for that, but ill probably just start using photoshop now.

1 Like

Thank you! I try to help! :blush:

I think - it is simplest way to achive the goal! :slightly_smiling_face:
Good luck!
I hope to see end result!

(Spacerobot5) #9

I got another update, Id love to hear your thoughts!:smile:

Hi!
As render it’s pretty good!
But I wasn’t thinking about one thing at first time, and now I see it - the storyline is not clear.
What I mean - the statue under water.
For me, as I know the original reference that you use - I can see the statue under water, but it is not because I clearly see it in your image, but because I know that it is there.
I’m not an expert and I hope my words don’t look negative.

(Spacerobot5) #11

That all made perfect sense to me I think, made another update let me know if you i understood you correctly!
I feel that its looking pretty good over all, I just have a few edits that ill need to do and it show be perfect!

1 Like

In my opinion this is the most important thing here, I just didn’t know how to say it.
Only you knew what you want to do, when you was starting this project and if you think that you achieve your goal - it’s great! :blush:
Wish you good luck and waiting for the update!

It is cool!
I think you have done a great job here!
And I’m happy, that my thoughts was helpful!
Wish you good luck in the future! :metal::sunglasses:

(Rute Perdiz) #14

I really liked this work :smiley:

1 Like