Underestimating Blender

(Haker) #1

Well, I find that a lot of new people under estimate blender, I find this to be common.

I peronsally think this is due to the fact that they do not have that many capabilities in blender, and use not having an expensive software such as 3DM, Maya, Lightwave, C4D, ect as an excuse foor doing poor work.

I find that a lot of these people don’t even try to push blender as a result, and I often hear "I did this in blender, but once I get ‘3DM, Maya, ect’ I will be awsome.

The fact of the matter Blender is just as if not more capable at this point than any other apps. Especailly with 2.4 Final just around the corner.

I think this has been brought up more than once, but dealing with right now is kinda crucial. This is because there is a huge influx of new people lately, and showing them what blender is capable of instead of having them compare thier work with other ‘Newbies’ and saying “This is the best I can do”.

(Duoas) #2

That kind of comparison will always happen…

I think the best way to advocate blender is to demonstrate its capabilities in our own work. One of my favorite threads is the show your -best- blender render in the Finished Projects forum.

And, for the newbie reading this post, the Works in Progress and Focused Critique forums are there for the express purpose of helping you get the most out of Blender. Many of the regulars here are more than happy to help you achieve that great effect you want, and push your artwork to its potential. So don’t be afraid to post!
:smiley:

(osxrules) #3

Well, Blender does have limitations but I agree that it is often vastly underrated.

I actually think it has a lot to do with the comparable applications not offering nearly as much, people just assume Blender has to be the same. It rises from the perception that money is the driving force of everything and nobody would give away something good for free. It’s a perception that is unfortunately very valid in today’s world.

I don’t think it’s something anyone can change. The commercial world will always have to come up with something new in order to make money and those features are what people use as reasons why Blender isn’t good enough.

I don’t think the perception needs changing anyway. Blender has been downloaded more than 2 million times. The user base at Elysiun is pretty huge. I’m willing to bet more people have Blender than Maya or 3DS put together. Put it this way, 25% of Maya’s sales are down to Mac users and you know how small that user base is.

(Falk) #4

I think the worst someone can do is somethinf like:

“Oh, look, my newest render! It look awesome, just like if I had made in 3dmax or lightwave!”

“Oh, now blender can do this and that, just as good as Maya”

This sounds like if blender is a useless software, and by a miracle, someone was able to make something nice.

Do you see people saying “3dmax can render just as good as lightwave! this is awesome!”

Sometimes people appear in 3dforuns and if someone asks about the software they used, they tell it’s blender, but they also tell the whole story, since NaN, how blender is nice because is small and free, and how nice is Yafray that is just as good as XYZ render. People DON’T WANT to know all that.

If you wan’t to show what blender can do, just do it, but do not compare!

(Haker) #5

Now that you think about it, I bet that a lot of people have never been to the blender.org art gallery. If they go there than they might realize that blender is perfect in the Still Image field, but that doesn’t mean they will think the animation system is any good.

I wonder if Project Orange once it is released if it will change anything. Perhaps blender might get some recognition from the Big companies. I am sure that if it gets some form of recognition over some of the dominating applications then maybe it might change the perception that new pupils of Blender pertain.

(Ecks) #6

everyone know blender sucks, that’s why

this discussion hapenned hundreds of time before you even knew what blender was…a good thing you weren’t around back in the 2.2days…you would have fallen in tears infront of people’s comment toward blender…worst was they were mostly right

(bmax) #7

Remember the “no-undo” days? Oh my, those n00b complaints! Took 'em a while to implement it, though.

(BigBlend) #8

Haha! Hardly ever use Undo now. I makes it perfect from the beginning.
Cause I do it the Blender way. :Z

(kit89) #9

Blender is a very powerful software that holds its own up with maya and 3ds max.

Why does Blender get so fussed about when someone creates something amazing and they only expect Maya to do something like that.

Well its down to advertising, if you created an adertisement and it said buy this water its the best.

Many folk will believe you and buy it. The same is for the other 3d packages, they advertise all the “new” stuff there packages does and people go wow I’ve never seen that done before it looks so cool. But in actual fact the new feature has been around for a long time.

Then they think well if this payed for software has just got it then a free 3d package will never have it.

Advertise Blender and what it can do, and you’ll see a power shift between software packages. :wink:

(henrymop) #10

Cause I do it the Blender way.

You should be head of advertising department. Room 7 down the hall and to your up.

P.S. Just being able to compare Blender to Maya or Max is amazing. How many other 3D software is compareable to them? Now how many freeware is compareible to them?

(BigBlend) #11

Strangely I never thought it that way. Thats a very good point. Then again I know that blender is the future in the 3d market. Im just working and learning til one day…BOOOM… “Wanted: People with Blender skills asap!”

And I´ll be standing at the front door to take that job from you }:slight_smile: Muhahaha MUHAhaha

(henrymop) #12

[quote=“bigbad”]

Strangely I never thought it that way. Thats a very good point. Then again I know that blender is the future in the 3d market. Im just working and learning til one day…BOOOM… “Wanted: People with Blender skills asap!”

And I´ll be standing at the front door to take that job from you }:slight_smile: Muhahaha MUHAhaha[/quote]

WAHH! You make me cry.

(BigBlend) #13

And I´ll be standing at the front door to take that job from you }:slight_smile: Muhahaha MUHAhaha[/quote]

WAHH! You make me cry.[/quote]

Don´t worry. I´ll talk to Pixar and they´ll hire you in a sec. Does that make you feel better? :wink:

(henrymop) #14

Don´t worry. I´ll talk to Pixar and they´ll hire you in a sec. Does that make you feel better? ;)[/quote]

(kit89) #15

If henrymop doesnt want it can I get it? :wink:

(bmax) #16

Don´t worry. I´ll talk to Pixar and they´ll hire you in a sec. Does that make you feel better? ;)[/quote]

…[/quote]

Let’s see how many quotes we can fit into eachother.

(BigBlend) #17

…[/quote]

Let’s see how many quotes we can fit into eachother.[/quote]

I was just making sure that hanrymop knew that I was talking to him… Just like now I´m saying something to you. No harm done. :smiley:

(henrymop) #18

…[/quote]

Let’s see how many quotes we can fit into eachother.[/quote]

I was just making sure that hanrymop knew that I was talking to him… Just like now I´m saying something to you. No harm done. :D[/quote]

Ok.

(Lamoot) #19

Cause I do it the Blender way.

I consider myself a somewhat experienced 3d artist, but I can’t imagine myself not using the undo function. What is the blender way of doing this then?

(traitor) #20

Dont fuck up :wink: