Undergroud lake

Hi everyone, I am currently working on a little movie project witch require a cave so I started making the one below. It is dark and shadowy on purpose (To match the mood of the scene it will be used in).

This is meant to be used as a scenery for real actors to play in so I tried to be realistic (witch I am generally not good at)

Have you got any suggestion witch could make it more interesting for I feel like this scenery is a little boring. I was thinking of some moss or light-rays but since it is underground it wouldn’t be that relevant.

your going to need to put a light in there for your actors anyway, (or at least so your audience can see your actors) so maybe light it up softly with a spotlight, to represent the actors torch or whatever they will be using.

I am already using spotlights but I think you are right about adding some. At least the part where the actors will be standing (on the left side of the background in this render) needs to be lighter.

Movie dark is not necessarily dark dark. You will have to turn on some lights if you want anyone to watch this. Other than the lighting caves are usually damp so you might add a lot of specularity to dampen things up a bit. Maybe create “veins” of different rock material?

You could put in some bio-luminescent moss or fungus.

Looking really promising, Galdor! The bump/displacement on the stone looks pretty good. Is every shot in the BG going to be CG, or are some of the shots going to be with a practical BG? Just curious about the work ahead of you.
As far as ways to make things more interesting, here are some I had:
Small punctures in the ceiling of the cave here and then, to let in small shafts of light (but still keeping the cave dark)
Tree roots growing down the walls/through the ceiling
Buildup of various minerals along surfaces
Certain types of plants and fungi wouldn’t be out of place, many of them prefer cool, damp and dark areas.i
Giant diamonds sticking out of the walls (just kidding)
Maybe you will find further inspiration here: https://www.google.com/search?q=underground+lake&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RNsFUaftNI_a8ATxyYFw&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=673

Thanks everyone for feedback. I will try adding different minerals, some moss or roots and make it a bit less dark. Bio-luminescent stuff is indeed a good idea, I think I will try this one.

I will keep you informed of my progresses.

Oh, and James, not all the movie will be with CG BG, only some scenes. But there are also CG characters to be inserted in other scenes. It is part of a little movie I am making with our video club (and the deadline is in march so I try to restrain myself to dedicate too much time for a single part since there is a lot of 3D to do)

Ok, I just added some moss texture and improved the stone texture. I also made the scene less dark.

But even though normal mapping is doing great, I may consider adding some actual volume to the moss to improve it.

ok, looks good now :slight_smile:

Have you watched one of the last Harry Potter Movies? there is a great underground lake scene there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0mVNFCcMXQ watch from 1:40 or something, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6mGjVye9A

You could maybe get some inspiration from there. :slight_smile:

Much better! Great job (I can see it now)